Main Menu

Blackout Paint, core support etc.

Started by Rbob, October 31, 2020, 09:18:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

RE:  70 Challenger T/A

I am uncertain once again, the black-out on the cowl, tops of fender aprons and core support, bottom edge of rockers? Should it be satin black or same organosol type that will be used on the hood ?

anlauto

In my opinion it should be just a flat black :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

Lots of good info here:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/194260/all/challenger-t-a-blackout-areas.html

According to Barry Washington, cases found where either organasol or trim black used. 

RUNCHARGER

Cheap, lacquer, semi gloss black IMO. I've never seen a factory blackout done in textured, light metallic organisol paint yet.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Mrbill426

SgtSuperbird

Likely original, but no 100% sure...mine looks like plain 'ole flat black or possibly faded satin. IMO, I wouldn't think they would put any type of paint with a sheen in the cowl area or spray with two different blacks. Again, IMO only

headejm

Quote from: SgtSuperbird on October 31, 2020, 06:53:13 PM
Likely original, but no 100% sure...mine looks like plain 'ole flat black or possibly faded satin. IMO, I wouldn't think they would put any type of paint with a sheen in the cowl area or spray with two different blacks. Again, IMO only

:iagree:  For my core support blackout, I used satin black paint and added about 10% flattening agent. I don't want any sheen in that area.

TGGodfrey

On the Core Supports.........Satin black aerosol can is what was said to be used by the assy line  (i believe that was 60 degree sheen if i remember correctly).  Guy sat in the pits spray bombing the front of the core support from underneath the car.  It was not nicely done.  I found the Black trim paint can from duplicolor is a good fit for color.  if you want to add a little flattener like someone posted above...that is acceptable as well.  100% flat wasn't said to be used.  However we all know mopar did with what they had and if someone screwed up an order on aerosols.... well there you go.

Dark colors were not supposed to get it... Black, Dark greens and Dark blues etc.  General rule is if the color is light enough to see through the grill.... black it out.

rftroy

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 31, 2020, 06:10:28 PM
Also, 3 colors were not supposed to get it, but it wasn't a perfect plan.

https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Engineering_Illustrations/Black_Out_Front_End.pdf

Glad I saw this today, because I'm painting my challenger B7.
Since I'm working on a resto mod, I'm more concerned about appearance than show judging points.
Does anybody have a B7 1970 Challenger, without the black out, who thinks it would look better with the black out?
Pictures?
Also, I'm using a TA hood in case that works into the appearance mix.

Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

Mrbill426

Are the wheel wells supposed to be blacked too?  If so, completely and front and rear?

anlauto

Quote from: TGGodfrey on November 01, 2020, 09:30:29 AM
On the Core Supports.........Satin black aerosol can is what was said to be used by the assy line  (i believe that was 60 degree sheen if i remember correctly).  Guy sat in the pits spray bombing the front of the core support from underneath the car.  It was not nicely done.  I found the Black trim paint can from duplicolor is a good fit for color.  if you want to add a little flattener like someone posted above...that is acceptable as well.  100% flat wasn't said to be used.  However we all know mopar did with what they had and if someone screwed up an order on aerosols.... well there you go.

Dark colors were not supposed to get it... Black, Dark greens and Dark blues etc.  General rule is if the color is light enough to see through the grill.... black it out.

Where does this information come from ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Quote from: Mrbill426 on November 01, 2020, 10:26:45 AM
Are the wheel wells supposed to be blacked too?  If so, completely and front and rear?

For 1970 (I'm not sure about other years), wheel wells were sprayed with black undercoating. Front and rear is my understanding.

Marty

Great timing!  :banana: Spraying my Barracuda core support tonight. Just my opinion but I would think flat black would be a poor choice. Once it gets dirty or contaminated, it's almost impossible to clean off and look right again. Especially bug guts. Marrs and scuffs up easily. Ever seen a flat black hood when wax gets on it? I'm going with low-gloss.