Main Menu

Blackout

Started by ply64post, February 25, 2021, 06:09:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ply64post

What determined the blackout on the cowl area. My cousin is restoring a 70 440 6 brl cuda red, vinyl top, shaker and he is getting ready to start prepping for paint. I know Ta's and AAR's had the blackout on the cowl areas and most cars got blackout behind the grilles.                       :thinking:

Thank You
                                                                  Jeff

Skdmark

On a 70 cowl it was based on car color; TX9, EB7, EF8 did not get it. The masking was real sloppy too.
There are documented cars that should have had it, but did not receive it. I recall reading that towards the end of the production year many cars did not get it.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

Yea...your cousin's red car should have it, along with rad support blackout and the rocker pinch weld blackout :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ply64post

Is there any details for these applications?

Thank You
                                                          Jeff

JS29

Check the resources section for references on the black out area's.  :alan2cents:   

anlauto

Quote from: ply64post on February 25, 2021, 06:34:26 AM
Is there any details for these applications?

Thank You
                                                          Jeff

Jeff, our Main Site has ALL the information you'll ever need :bigthumb:

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/cuda_challenger_tsb_specifications_engineering_illustrations_drawings/
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

340challconvert

I tried to mimic the black out that was original to my car when I disassembled it.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Skdmark

Does someone have the cowl drawing?

I did not see it in the list on the website and the Faxon engineering drawings book.
I see radiator frame, wheel wells, pinch weld (sill), M46, 71 rocker molding, tail light panels, windshield frame and A pillars.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

ply64post

Thank You All for your response, I also didn't see the diagram for the cowl in the resources.
I should ask does the tail panel get black also?

Jeff

JS29

anlauto

Quote from: ply64post on February 25, 2021, 09:31:40 AM
Thank You All for your response, I also didn't see the diagram for the cowl in the resources.
I should ask does the tail panel get black also?

Jeff

If you're working on a 1970 Cuda, then YES of course the tail panel is painted black. (organisol) At the bottom the black should continue all the way down to where the bumper mounts in my opinion.

Cuda_mark

@anlauto Alan - there is a document showing that the area under the rocker moldings should be black out. Is this true for cuda rocker gills?

autoxcuda

Quote from: Cuda_mark on February 26, 2021, 07:43:16 AM
@anlauto Alan - there is a document showing that the area under the rocker moldings should be black out. Is this true for cuda rocker gills?

Documents are nice.

But look at and reference multiple original cars. There are pics out there of the pinch weld up area for 70 Cuda rocker Gill, 71 Cuda rocker, AAR, and T/A cars.

There are pics of non rocker molding cars with pinch black out.

Some blackout was brushed on. Some with spray on. And some with both.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

anlauto

GCragtop

A-pillar blackout on convertibles, under the side glass weatherstrip.