Main Menu

Brake light problem

Started by jyotkc, January 03, 2024, 08:58:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jyotkc

Went to go get an inspection and found the brake lights weren't working. Fuses good, bulbs good. I have tail lights and turn signals. My flashers don't work except when key is on and turn signal is on. Now for the weird part. When I press the brakes, the dash panel light comes on. They stay on for about 30 seconds, then go off!! What the hell! Any suggestions?

MoparLeo

Any recent steering column work done ?
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

jyotkc

EV2RTSE

Sounds like it could be a bad turn signal switch. But also check the connections at the steering column, hopefully just something loose or corroded there.

jyotkc

Can someone tell me how to get the top part of the column off

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: jyotkc on January 04, 2024, 11:06:49 AMCan someone tell me how to get the top part of the column off
It is too many years for me to remember now, but I borrowed a steering wheel puller from a guy at work.
It was something that fit inside that crush can and you would tighten the screws and get that can to pop. They aren't that expensive, but necessary. There is NO way you can pull that crush can off without one.

jyotkc

Update
Got the steering column opened up, everything looks great.
Wiggled the fuse box and everything started to work like normal. I guess I have a wiring issue at the fuse box. Maybe a ground?? How is the fuse box grounded?

TelisSE440

If you wiggled the fuse box and everything works, then the problem is much easier. The fuse box has some fuses and terminals that could have rusted enough and create feedback, meaning that they could redirect current to other devices (MOPARS are notorious for this!). Disconnect the battery and pull all the fuses, clean all the rusted terminals with WD-40 or something like it, so as to remove all the rust (fuses too, or install new). If everything seems OK and the problem persists, check the panel behind the fuse box for wires that melted together or have been disconnected/cut due to age. To remove the fuse panel, you'll see two switches (upper right lower left i think, in the photo you can see the upper right), press towards the center of the box and pull slightly to release. Then you can only pull it back a couple of inches, so it will be a tad difficult to see the wires.

jyotkc

Thanks for the input.
I'll work on it this morning and let you know

MoparLeo

Save yourself a mess. WD-40 will not clean off your electrical oxidation.
Poor grounding was a problem since these cars were new.
Do it right and plan on a weekend to start at the front and work your way back with cleaning all the grounds on everything electrical in nature. Also clean all the bulb sockets. You may even need to replace a few. Inexpensive and are available.
Check for poor repairs, wire splices etc...
Naturally disconnect and ideally remove the battery before you touch anything in the electrical system.
This should an automoatic practice  before doing any kind of service.
Elelctrical contact cleaner is readily avalable and you will also need some small s/s brushes to clean the sockets and connectors. Seal with dielectric grease when done to seal the connection from moisture/air. This is what allows oxidation to occur.
Replace every bulb, even if they are still working, with high quality bulbs from American or European (not China, Taiwan etc..)manufacturers like Phillps etc... Most of the German manufacturers used nickle plated bulb bodies that do not corrode like the brass/copper type commonly used.
Doing this all at once will give you a baseline on the age and condition of the components. Use you Factory Service Manual to get diagrams/procedures to service the different areas.   Also the Bulb size/type numbers.
Bulkhead connection proglems are the most common. damaged connectors are reproduced, so they can be just replaced with new parts.
The steering wheel can is very easily removed. The reason people are wondering about the turn signal switch is because the directionals and the brake lights are fed power though this switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF9bpPX2z7U
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...