Main Menu

Broadcast sheet behind front seats

Started by Arctoad, September 20, 2019, 12:22:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Arctoad

Hi guys,
Have a question. I have replaced the carpet in my T/A and thought it would be the ideal time to do a thorough search for the build sheet. I've checked in all of the typical areas and came up empty.. I didn't have my hopes too high anyway, but after taking the back off both front seats, it revealed a cream colored foam instead of the expected wire backing. It looks factory but can someone tell me if this is normal? I've seen pictures of build sheets stuck there but there is no wire. I'll take some pictures of them later today but for now here are some pictures of the floors, impressive for a Buffalo car.
Thanks

FlatlandTA

Did you check under the seat bottoms and ontop of the glove box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arctoad

Under the dash looks like it has never been disturbed but there was nothing..

7E-Bodies

My 70 RT had one behind the driver seat back rest.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

js27

My 70 R/T was behind the front seat back. Good Luck-keep searching.
JS27

Arctoad

Just curious, why are some of the backs of E Bodies like this and others are foam backed? Mine has the aluminum tags still in tack.

7E-Bodies

@js27 it's like finding buried treasure, isn't it? I remember feeling my heart pounding as I loosened the top two screws on the seat back, opened it about an inch and peered in with a flashlight and saw it. Then the eternity it seemed in removing the bottom two screws so I could get to it. Then gently opening it to find it was correct for my car and not from another.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

anlauto

Quote from: Arctoad on September 23, 2019, 12:15:47 PM
Just curious, why are some of the backs of E Bodies like this and others are foam backed? Mine has the aluminum tags still in tack.

Are your seats original to the car ? Have they been messed with or recovered at one time ? I've never seen "foam backed" seats in a 1970-71 E Body. Do you have a picture ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Arctoad

I'll try to get a couple of Pictures tonight or tomorrow.
That's what I originally thought to, but the date tags are present and there is a R on the driver side and L on the passenger side etched into the foam.

Ricomondo

As stated, check on top of the glove box liner, and don't forget about checking the rear seat (back).
Good luck!

70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

Floyd

I've heard of people finding them crammed way up in the headrest part as well. 

headejm

I was lucky enough to find 3 nice sheets in my car.  :cheers:

1. In the springs of the back seat.
2. Under the carpet.
3. Behind the front seat back (can't remember which seat it was).

Also lucky that my car was built in the Hamtramck plant and not the LA plant. Many of those cars do not have broadcast sheets as I believe the LA plant threw theirs away instead of leaving them in the car.

I agree with the comment "it's like finding buried treasure ".

Arctoad

So I took a couple of pictures last night of the back of the driver seat behind the plastic cover.

js27

I have never seen a factory seat with that foam set up.
JS27

Arctoad

The passenger side is the same and has a date and maybe shift.. etched into the foam. At first I thought it was maybe a later model of seat, but looking at pictures of various seats it doesn't make sense.