Main Menu

Build date from VIN

Started by Andrewg, December 26, 2023, 04:18:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Andrewg

Probably a dumb question, but is there a way to determine build date just from the VIN? No fender tag on my car, and haven't found a build sheet. It would be cool to know when it was made. It's a 70 challenger.

MoparLeo

Quick answer "No". It only show scheduled dates.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

anlauto

From what I've learned the build date you see on a fender tag is not the actual build date most times, but only the scheduled build date. You can find something close just by searching out the VIN numbers of similar  cars..Google has hundreds of photos of fender tags....or give your VIN to one of the guys that collects info and they should be able to give you a ball park  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

Sometimes there are QC problems or parts/ special instructions with some cars and they were pulled from the line for extra care and later put back on. There are many things that can affect the scheduled date vs actual day/order of production.
 I think that the actual date/time that it came off the line completed was recorded on paper and those records are probably not around anymore.
The company has changed owners numerous times over the years and there have been moves,fires etc... that have had an affect on what actual records that still exist.
As Alan said, ballpark ideas are about the best you can expect UNLESS you have something that was Custom ordered bysomeone special ( Celeb/politician/etc) but then the fender tag/build sheet. would have special build info And usually the documentation would have followed the car..

cuda hunter

Not a dumb question at all. Quite valid.

I agree with both comments.
You can get close, possibly.

@Andrewg  What is the vin?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

71GranCoupe

The door tag is very accurate for the month, but does not give an actual date.

1970 cuda Joe

I had to do the same thing on the cuda I just bought. Looked at other VINs & their assm date. I came up with mid to late November 1969. It's a guess for the time being...Joe
1970 cuda 440-6, 4 speed NOM. Moulin Rouge

MoparLeo

Only way to know is Factory documentation. Very unlikely. :sorry:

Andrewg

Quote from: cuda hunter on December 26, 2023, 06:20:19 PMNot a dumb question at all. Quite valid.

I agree with both comments.
You can get close, possibly.

@Andrewg  What is the vin?
Thanks, vin is js23nob254508.

cuda hunter

Quote from: Andrewg on December 27, 2023, 09:13:20 PMThanks, vin is js23nob254508.

Make sure when you search it on google or duckduckgo that you type in a zero between the N and the B.   Otherwise you won't ever find any information about it. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Culvers

Quote from: AndrewgThanks, vin is js23nob254508.
The SPD of 254503 is 218

Andrewg

Quote from: Culvers on December 28, 2023, 09:21:52 AM
Quote from: AndrewgThanks, vin is js23nob254508.
The SPD of 254503 is 218
So that's feb 18th of 1970?

MoparCarGuy

So that's feb 18th of 1970?
[/quote]

Yes, February 18, 1970.
EDIT: Mid-month is a good thing if you are attempting to figure out what the likely Door VIN decal should be. Yours should most likely be 2 - 1970.
There was a Door VIN decal printing changeover from M - YYYY or MM - YYYY (AUG thru DEC 1969) and M - YYYY (for JAN/FEB 1970) to M - YY (for MAR thru JUL). Probably a bit of penny-pinching for time and ink.  :notsure: