Main Menu

Buying car with only bill of sale, not title

Started by tparker, April 21, 2021, 11:13:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I came across a 1965 D100 pickup that is kind of what I'm looking for. Problem is the guy selling it states he only has a Bill of sale and no other paper work. This sends some red flags but I suppose this is probably somewhat common.

All though California might be slightly different, what is typically needed in this case? How hard is it to resolve and what are typical steps? A quick search turned up a Bonded title or an appication for Duplicate Title or transfer of title. Not sure if either apply in this case.

Please tell me this is easy and a no big deal rather than a red tape nightmare and cousin Vinny is coming for his truck, LOL

Montclaire

Every state is different. Keep calling your DMV until you get someone who is knowledgeable.

mopartaz

A friend just did the vermont registration for a car here in NJ. Got a new NJ title no problem.

https://titlerecovery.com/

HP2

Yes, every state is different so you will need to contact CA DMV and see what their process is. Might have to do a bonded title or might have to do title search to see if they have records of previous owners, then send them certified letters to ensure they have no interest in the vehicle.

R/T's 4 R/P

I just went through this for the first time as well.
Wisconsin has typically been very difficult to get something like this done.
So I did my homework in advance.
I sent emails to our DMV. As well as questions to the DMV of the state in which the car was coming from. I printed copies of all that correspondence.
I printed out a sales contract and mileage statement for the car and had the sale of the car notarized at a local bank.
I supplied all the above to our DMV and I received a clean title within a month! I was ecstatic!
However...as stated...Every state is different. I'm sure every individual who has this paperwork fall on their desk also is different.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

IRON MAN

Worst case scenario: A guy owns a 65 Dodge truck. He goes to prison for drug dealing. While in prison, someone puts a mechanics lien on his truck and gains possession. Then, this swindler sells the truck to someone who spends gobs of $$ on it. Guy gets out of prison. He can't locate his truck. Goes to the DMV with his title. DMV believes his story. Guy is able to get HIS truck back restored with many upgrades. I know of similar cases like this where the swindler went to prison.

Mrbill426

Yikes  :Thud:
A very real possibility

:sorry:
Quote from: IRON MAN on April 22, 2021, 09:42:44 AM
Worst case scenario: A guy owns a 65 Dodge truck. He goes to prison for drug dealing. While in prison, someone puts a mechanics lien on his truck and gains possession. Then, this swindler sells the truck to someone who spends gobs of $$ on it. Guy gets out of prison. He can't locate his truck. Goes to the DMV with his title. DMV believes his story. Guy is able to get HIS truck back restored with many upgrades. I know of similar cases like this where the swindler went to prison.

1972V21Cuda

First, you can start here: https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

In Connecticut, vehicles over 25 years old are not issued titles. Rather, they are sold by a Bill of Sale. However, for example: I still have the Maryland title that was given to me when I purchased my car. It's proof that I own it (in addition to the Connecticut registration) and it will go to the next owner some day. 20 years ago, before the privacy laws were changed, I was able to obtain historical records for the car from the Maryland DMV. In these records, I have copies of previous titles that were issued for the car. So, I have DMV records that go back to the late 80's/early 90's. I was able to track down the 2nd owner and spoke to the person. Unfortunately, the trail stopped there and I never really pursued things any deeper. My point: Having these records, the future owner can be rest assured that the ownership is clear.

70 Top Banana

Me personally, no title, no cash. I had a friend that lost a car titled in his name and had it removed from his garage after he restored the car in some convoluted story over a 15 year period.

BIGSHCLUNK

Without going thru the boring details, I had the original title to a 69 Charger but not the car. The person with the car had a duplicate, original title wins.  :yes:   (altho the is a time constraint here)

tparker

Thanks all.

I have seen probably 10 trucks on line missing title. It seems it is common. I could imagine farm trucks sitting on the property for years and passing down the generations and being sold off multiple times it could occur somewhat frequently.

I suspect it's less risky for cheaper cars. maybe a red flag would go up for a convertable hemi without a title  ::)

MoparLeo

Being that you are also in California, know that all the stories about what they have done in other states is meaningless. You must comply with California DMV requirements. You are looking at a mountain of legwork and the vehicle must be equipped with what ever emissions equipment was required by California. I was given a 78 B-200 years ago that was a Federal vehicle and had no California emissions stuff at all. They would not even test the vehicle until all the stuff was installed. Not easy to find 40 year old emissions stuff. I just parked it in the backyard and use it as a shed.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

crackedback

65 is emissions exempt IIRC

Going to take a vin verification at a minimum with no title available.    It's not hard to do other than some legwork.  I don't think that year has a federal sticker either.

I'd do what I could to find out what the bonded title was about and who the last registered owner is. 

1972V21Cuda

tparker

hmmm.... That may make me think twice about parking my car in a parking lot. LOL.

It kinda sounds the process in California isn't that difficult. It seems you just need to fill out an Application for Duplicate or Transfer of Tile form. It looks like this is for a lost title, which the DMV should have on record and can verify, I assume. But not sure what is required if it is NOT in the system and the "owner" selling the the car can't be verified. In any case, I will avoid this mess. Just figured a few people on the site would have had some experience.