Main Menu

Can I Paint my Argent Grill on my 71 Cuda?

Started by fuscobros, November 03, 2020, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

here is an unrestored '71 hemi'cuda 401-SPD w/argent SHAKER

Topcat

Roger Gibson sells the best Argent Paint FWIW.

Matt13

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 04, 2020, 08:29:16 PM
Is that A4 Gunmetal Grey?

6bblgt

Quote from: Matt13 on November 04, 2020, 09:18:47 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on November 04, 2020, 08:29:16 PM
Is that A4 Gunmetal Grey?

yes, but officially at Plymouth - GA4 "Winchester Gray metallic"

fuscobros

Quote from: fuscobros on November 04, 2020, 02:32:56 PM
Quote from: Cudino on November 04, 2020, 09:33:56 AM
I agree your grille would have originally been EV2, not only from the previous owner's info but also the elastomeric bumper option would have called for the painted grille.  One thing I can't tell from your pictures is about your headlight trim rings.  Originally they were argent with argent grilles or chromed for painted grilles.  If your trim rings are chromed they are probably your originals that were reused after the grille swap.

- Wade

Thanks for the tip re the Chrome headlight trim rings.  The ones pictured are in fact argent so the entire grill must have been swapped.  After seeing your comment I remembered a box of parts included with the car had some trim rings in it...to my disappointment those 4 trim rings are also argent so the chrome originals are long gone... :(  anyone have a set of 4 chrome trim rings they want to sell.  I would prefer good used originals, or NOS unless you experts think repros are a near exact match and good quality?

So I took a closer look at my headlight trim rings today with a bright shop light.  They actually ARE chrome but with the years of road grime, dust and paint overspray they at first glance appeared to be argent.  Yay!  Only thing is there's some slight pitting of the chrome.  Anyone know if they can be re-plated and if so who do you recommend?  Also, when looking head on at the trim rings the inner edges are black ....only the outer edges are chrome.  Should the black inner area be black, argent, or EV2?

anlauto

Try SOS pads to clean up the chrome. the inside is black. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration