Main Menu

Car Transport $$$ guesses?

Started by RUNCHARGER, February 11, 2018, 08:39:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Can anyone give me an educated guess on transport costs from the southern Ca. Border to the Wa. Canada border? About 1350 miles. I am thinking about a project from down that way and don't know if I have time to go get it myself.
Sheldon

Dakota

Sheldon - I hate to give you a "it depends" answer, but the words apply here.   If you're looking for the cheapest route, you can get a pretty quick idea by using Goggle for words like "auto transport quote" and using one of the links that will appear. You'll end up with a bunch of brokers who all seem to work with the same group of haulers - it's just a matter of what fee they'll tack on to the trucking charge.  There's typically an upcharge if the car doesn't run.  I used one of the web brokers to have a running car moved from the Spokane area in Washington to Iowa for $875 on top of open trailer in 2012 (the car took a beating from road grit along the way).   The trip from Iowa to Buffalo (after it was repainted) was about $1200 in 2014 by Reliable Carriers in an enclosed trailer. The Reliable drivers were complete professionals and were very patient when my "running" car wouldn't start and delayed getting it off their rig.  I used Reliable again when we shipped a car from Buffalo to my son in Texas.  I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

mopar thunder

Runcharger, I have been using a transport broker out of Chicago. He has been excellent for me. it cost me $1,675 for 2 running cars to go from Pa. to Florida, about 1,100 miles. The time before was $800 to go from Missouri to PA. for 1 running car. I am at work right now but if you are interested let me know and I can get the contact info to you.

wldgtx

The rate to transport will vary based on certain criteria:  Does the car run, do you want an open trailer or enclosed, mileage, etc.

That said, you should be very careful as to who you choose.  I would spend more on a fully restored car and get an enclosed trailer, I would also do my home work on who you use too, not all companies are equal.

I spent close to $1600 (enclosed) to ship a car from CA to MI.  I also had a car shipped from FL to MI for about $700 (open trailer).  I will guess that with your distance you are looking at around $1000.
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

cuda hunter

Fella on here was looking for someone to do a reverse trip to help his costs from Denver to I think it was Florida.
I was into the return trip.  Company quoted me 1550 for the return trip.  Not sure what he paid for the initial trip down.
Company found someone else to do the return trip.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

blown motor

Bill's Auto Works is a member here and car hauling is his business. I'm sure he'd give you a quote.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

Thanks guys: A wild guess was all I needed. It also occurred to me that a friend of mine is holidaying in the Baja with his motorhome. He is a car guy and wouldn't be against buying an open trailer to sell on his return either. The car I am considering is rough so I wouldn't have to worry about it getting some more damage.
Sheldon

Woolpit

Why not just call up a few companies and get a quote? All of them will give you an estimate for free and it only takes a couple minutes, then you won't have to go off of educated guesses-you'll actually have an accurate number from the companies that you can use to compare prices and decide which one seems best. That's what I did last time I shipped anyway. FWIW I used this company https://www.a1autotransport.com/ and would go with them again if I needed shipping. They were easy to work with and more affordable than some of the others I talked to.

pschlosser

In the last few years (after Covid) I have two experiences with car transport.  One was coast-to-coast, more or less, for $2200, and the another, two-states (16 hours drive) was $1800.

YYZ

FWIW I got a quote of $2K (plus customs brokerage) from the Lake Tahoe area to Toronto.  That was only 2-3 weeks ago. 

RUNCHARGER

I requested a quote the day I started this thread, still waiting for it. Not sure if the car sold yet or not.
Sheldon