Main Menu

WIW - Transport Brackets

Started by 70vert, September 20, 2022, 12:21:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70vert

These were bolted to the rear frame and I believe used to "tie down" the vehicle during transport. I don't see any part numbers but might be some beneath the undercoating. They serve no real purpose any longer, just dead weight but maybe to purests/fanatics they would be wanted. I am curious what they are worth if anything?

PS: I am pretty sure these are off my Challenger, but I've had many cars over the years so possibly something else. Not sure how to confirm without pn.

anlauto

Reproductions run about $50-$60 a pair and they are nice, not all pitted like most originals.  :alan2cents: :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

I kinda figured, no pn or build date dooms OEM stuff unless it is NIB.
But I have learned to check before tossing stuff out, sometimes they are "priceless"  :stop:

anlauto

Only markings on the originals is "L" and "R", but I think the repros might be marked that way as well :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

given that, I am willing to ship at buyers expense. they are small but a bit heavy. PM me your zip if interested and I can get shipping cost quote.
If no interest I will be tossing them in a few weeks.

R/T's 4 R/P

70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

fc7cuda

The bolts are unique too.  Head markings and all, save them too if you can.

JH27N0B

The dealership was supposed to remove those during new car prep before selling.  Has anyone ever seen a car where they actually did that?
Another tie down related question I've had, is that some have warned not to use them when tying your car down in a trailer, as they can actually damage the frame a bit or even I've heard of them getting torn off during transport.
So why didn't that happen back in the day when cars were getting transported from the factory?  Were they only used when tied down in rail cars, and since rail cars don't hit bumps securing the cars with them didn't subject the rear frame rails to much stress?

Brads70

Quote from: JH27N0B on September 21, 2022, 07:16:50 AM
The dealership was supposed to remove those during new car prep before selling.  Has anyone ever seen a car where they actually did that?
Another tie down related question I've had, is that some have warned not to use them when tying your car down in a trailer, as they can actually damage the frame a bit or even I've heard of them getting torn off during transport.
So why didn't that happen back in the day when cars were getting transported from the factory?  Were they only used when tied down in rail cars, and since rail cars don't hit bumps securing the cars with them didn't subject the rear frame rails to much stress?
My car was built for California market and it had them. I took them off, they are "somewhere" in my garage. I figured I had no use for the extra weight/hauling them around.

MOPAR MITCH

Although this thread talks about the REAR brackets for transportation, what and how did the factory use for the FRONT to tie the cars down?

Brads70

A good friend of mine now passed away, told me he was a front end alignment guy when these cars arrived new at the dealerships. 67-73 He said from tie downs from shipping they were always needing a front end alignment before the new cars could be given to customers. He laughed telling me how he figured out how to tighten the torsion bar so much and it brought them quickly back into specs, he was paid flat rate at the time he explained and after a few weeks of this the dealership he was working at didn't want to do that anymore as he was making quite a bit of money as he could do them so quickly.  :D He had lots of stories telling me about road testing brand new Hemi cars, Superbirds etc...
I sure miss Jim, he taught me a lot .....