Main Menu

Challenger hood decal

Started by Rich G., March 11, 2018, 07:19:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

Does the hood blackout decal go to the front edge of the hood or does it wrap around the front end under the trim also?

Cuda Cody

I think it goes under the trim, but not 100% for sure.  I personally put them under the trim and think it looks best that way.  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

It wraps over the leading edge of the hood approx 3/8" as I remember on my first original paint cab.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 11, 2018, 09:11:34 AM
It wraps over the leading edge of the hood approx 3/8" as I remember on my first original paint cab.

You had a cab with original paint????? :haha:   

I've been burned by auto-correct so many times I gotta  :pokeeye:

ToxicWolf

Definitely wraps around. And be careful when you do that or you'll get a crease in it.  Don't ask how I know this.  :crying:

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Here is my original paint "cab" Can't tell on the wrap around in this old shot but it was there. I am going to go exercise my old fingers now so they behave better when typing!
I love these old shots, this is from 1978 and is proof we drove these cars, it is also proof not all Canadian cars were rusted to their axles. I was at camp 100 miles from home in this shot. the headlight doors were off because I was setting the aftermarket headlights for the trip home in the middle of the night. Lots of Swamp Donkeys (Moose) in that country and you don't want to tag one on the way home at 85-90 MPH. I can tell by the rear wheels that I had already swapped the B-body Dana 60 in too, so I've been doing this maybe too long.
Sheldon

blown motor

Timely topic because a buddy and I were just talking about the hood blackout. Was it just a 70 thing or 70/71? Was it flat or gloss? Was it part of the RT package or could you order it separately? We see different variations. Lastly, did the blackout extend up the sides of the recessed area at the top of the hood? I've seen some that do and some that don't but which is correct?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

70 thing and a 71 thing (71's had r/t cut out and it looked really cool). Optional both years. I would describe the finish as semi gloss.
Sheldon

Rich G.

Thanks for the info and you will get a crease in it! Strike one! They say you learn from your mistakes. I should be a genius by now.

blown motor

Thanks Sheldon. I wondered why some had the RT cutout and some didn't.

ZEN357

70 models go under the trim, newer models go off the hood on to the top of the bumper but not over the bumper completely.

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Under the trim.........

gumby

Chevy guys restored my Challenger before they raffled it. Painted the hood black out gloss. Painted the rear wing gloss. Put a pink pin-stripe down the side.
Painted it Plum Crazy - though not correct for the year. PAINTED THE INTERIOR DASH< STEERING COLUMN< AND CRUSH CAN PURPLE - because - hey, it matches the car?
That's a direct quote, when I asked why.

Taking the dash out to install a set of Dakota Digital gauges that replicate the originals, going to install factory grills for outboard stereo. Going to go back original on
the dash, steering column, and crush can - black.

One day, when I can afford it, will correct the hood and wing. And remove that god aweful pink pinstripe.

Effing chevy people? What the hell is wrong with them?  :barf:

blown motor

@gumby You have a pink pinstripe on a yellow car???