Main Menu

air freight shipping tags on some seats

Started by cuda hunter, June 25, 2020, 08:31:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

Check out this topic over on febo.  These are tags that were wired on the bottom of some rt/se seats.
Has anyone here ever seen this before?
Do you perhaps have an idea of what this is about?
Any info on this?
I"m not sure if you have to be a member to see the pics, if they don't show for non members let me know and I will copy and paste.

https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/interesting-find.21375/#post-124248
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

it looks like, in September of '69 - a batch of 160 seat frames ( at 12# each + 320# container = 2240# ) were air freighted thru TWA to LAX for the LA plant

nothing indicates it was an international shipment

probably just some supplemental inventory that their regular supplier was delayed/shorted in error/couldn't make happen as required to keep the line moving

6bblgt

I'd bet one could get 160 lower bucket seat frames in one of those air cargo containers on the tarmac next to this TWA 707 "Cargo Jet"  :takealook:

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

I agree with that scenario. The cost of air freight would be worth it to keep the line from shutting down. Those tags are mint.
Sheldon

6bblgt

:alan2cents:  bare lower seat frames

:thinking: thread states FC7 R/T SE & white interior - DID NOT happen  :clueless: no white interior available for an R/T SE ***** must've been previously swapped  :dunno:

cuda hunter

wait, what? 

White interior was not available on an rt/se?  why ? That's a new one to me?

6bblgt

SE (JH/JS29) was standard with leather interior
1970 Challenger leather interiors: BLACK, TAN, BURNT ORANGE

Gran Coupe (BP23/27) was standard with leather interior
1970 Barracuda leather interiors: BLACK, TAN, WHITE

cuda hunter

Wow.  I learn something every day.  Thanks for the info Dan!  Your knowledge is astounding and very appreciated! 

6bblgt

& like you asked - it would be interesting to see the "normal" seat frame tag to get the date to compare & there were a number of vendors in Ohio that Chrysler used for seats, I'd bet one was close to Louisville, KY airport (SDF) if not in KY. 

See if you can get clarification of the white seat (leather?) in a R/T SE - with pics if possible  :takepicture:

cuda hunter

Will do.  Another member there has now confirmed that he has a tag just like it with the same sdf on the beginning line. 

6bblgt

the freight must have been figured/recorded without any container/tare weight

the first tag ******** 160 pieces at 14# = 2240 lbs.
the second tag ****** 103 pieces at 14# = 1442 lbs.

gaddied

That brings back some memoirs. I use to work for TWA  as a A & P mechanic . Seems like a long time ago , but it was great !

cuda hunter

There are  a couple updates on the thread. 

I still don't get how to read the seat tags.  Is there a book for that?  Date codes?

6bblgt

here's my take on the seat tag

in a 1970 "Directory of Automotive Equipment and Accessory Manufacturers in the U.S."

Lear Siegler Inc - Fabricated Products Group,
(among their products list: mechanisms, suspensions and components for the furniture & bedding industries, office furniture)
(among their division list: Middletown Mfg. Division in Simpsonville, KY) * 25 miles from the Louisville, KY airport & before being closed in '08 was making recliner chair components

can't clearly make out the part number, but ..........  :takealook: