Main Menu

Date Coded Spark Plug wires - Points use only

Started by 72 Challenger, February 25, 2023, 07:46:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

Hi Everyone,

I have a 416 stroker that was swapped over to electric ignition in my 1970. I am trying to dress up the engine bay as close to stock looking as possible and I noticed over the winter I have miss matched plug wires from a variety of brands, without date codes. So I thought it would be simple enough go on any classic car parts re-seller and pick up a set of restoration plug wires with a late 1969 date stamp and throw them on.

However some sites have this warning:

NOTE: These wires are for use with points-type ignition only; they will not fit cars with electronic ignition systems.

Now i'm no expert here but is there any difference? Are the wires used in points different than the ones used in electronic? It's not like the location of the distributor or the coil changed between points cars and electronics cars? why would these not "fit"

anyone have any input?
Someday I will have a J0b.

70_440-6Cuda

Interesting question - I cannot imagine there is any difference - I converted lots of points distributors to electronic over the years without swapping plug wires - anyone else?
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Skdmark

That does seem a bit strange.
How many cars were converted to electronic ignition back in the day and still had OEM type wires?

Now I could see if you were using an MSD box or similar that you would want an upgraded wire.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

Never heard of it :huh:  Firecore makes a black wire with orange boots if you want an 8mm high performance wire. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72 Challenger

Thanks team!

I think I'm safe to ignore this warning. I don't think my ignition set up requires anything "performance"

:bradsthumb:
Someday I will have a J0b.

6bblgt

I wonder if information is being lost in translation (says "will not fit" not "won't work") - Mopar went to ORANGE wires by '72 when electronic ignition became STANDARD - wonder what the '71 340 electronic ignition cars used??  :dunno:

69BFan

I just checked the Lectric Limited site who manufactures the date coded Mopar wires for the restoration world.  They only list a third quarter of '71 or a first quarter of '72 for a '72 Cuda 340 and they are are the black wires with the orange boots.  They do not offer anything for a '73 year model as a restoration plug wire.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.