Main Menu

Spark plug wires

Started by tparker, October 29, 2021, 06:45:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I'm going to pick up some plug wires and a quick check on prices are showing $100+ and several options. I was just curious if this was one of those things where they charge high prices for features you don't need or something. I'd be stoked if someone said all I needed was low impedance 8mm wires for $30-$50. LOL.

Just thought I'd ask

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

tparker

Thanks. It is for a 340, though my question was general. I ended up going to a local parts store that seems to focus on performance stuff, but more I look the sadder the options they provide are. They only had a couple choices of wires. They had 3 main choices of wires: Taylor, MSD, and some other brand. They had a million boxes of MSD, but they seemed to be the same wires just for different applications. The taylors were overwhelming. THey had several types in the same box (3 types of wires, 3 types of plugs, and a bunch of color options. You had to try to find the tick marks on the box to figure out which one was right for you. THat was just for one type of wires. THen they had a bunch others and I gave up and went with the MSD since they are a name I know and they had a small block mopar set which I figure should be at least close to the right length.

I notices the impedance was MUCH lower for the MSD, but the price was much higher. I forget the numbers but the MSD was in the low double digits and the Taylor were high triple digits.

Bullitt-

Hope they fit... My story is after a failed attempt buying Mopar orange reproduction wires that didn't fit at all for my 340 Summit exchanged them for a MSD set that were pre-made supposedly for SB Mopar. Still had fitment issues, a couple were to short and a couple were extra long so I appealed to MSD and they sent a bag of ends & a length of wire. I purchased their tool that goes in a vice & made a couple of new + remade a couple to get 8-that fit.  If I had it to do over I think I would get  a set of DIY wires...
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Filthy Filbert

Does this board not know about Firecore wires?

I've used Taylor, MSD, etc.  Firecore has been the best fitting and best performing wire over ever used.

And the owner is a mopar guy to boot.