Main Menu

Deal that got away

Started by Chryco Psycho, August 10, 2017, 09:03:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

SO what was the best deal you let get away ?   :notsure:
I was offered 3 Cudas
First the one in the picture here 440+6 4 spd Track pack with leather interior , the deal was stupid low
Second a reall FJ5 AAR with a 8/71 blown Hemi , I could have bought the car & most of the pieces need to restore it for less than the cost of the Hemi  with the Hemi still in it !
Third - Cody can tell you about it , early build 440+6 4 spd dana shaker FE5 , elastomeric, low milage 
There were a lot more as well , I looked at a FE5 , 71 Challenger hemi 4 spd but I didn't want it , I wanted a 70 .
I also looked at a 70 F8 440+6 auto track pack Chall , never learned how to drive an auto so I didn't want it either !
70 Superbird he wanted $1000 . year so in 80 it was 10 K , I didn't have it

Cuda Cody

I still miss that 440+6 4 spd dana shaker FE5 , elastomeric Cuda.  Should have never sold it.  But the deal that I think about from time to time was back in 1998 when I was looking for a fun car.  Went and looked at a Ferrari F40 for $80k and walked away to buy a new Dodge Viper for $65k.   :dunno:   I don't loss much sleep over it because I know if I would have bought the Ferrari I would have just sold it later to buy an E-Body or a Viper.   I'm not a Ferrari type of guy.  I don't need a car just to look cool.  I love American Muscle cars.... it's not about the money, it's about the cars.   :burnout:

hato

In 95 I convinced the old man to invest into a muscle car so here's what we passed on
In Madison wi was a 70 boss 429 in white  with 1800 miles was a track car only. It wasn't cut up owner took it apart and lost interest putting it back together we passed at $2,500 everything was there mind you just a life size model car kit.
Car #2 a b5 70 hemi cuda 4 speed super track pack for 24k
Car #3 a vitamin c shaker 440-6 auto track pack car that was at world of wheels and 5 blocks behind my house for 18k
Car #4 was a smoking deal a 70 fm3 challenger t/a 4speed for $9,500
I showed them two wing cars for 20k and they laughed who would want such a ugly car

ViperMan

I was never "offered" a car that I didn't buy - perhaps people know I'm a lost cause.  :)

But there are some cars I saw come and go - mostly on eBay - that I regret not bidding/buying.  There was the 69 Coronet bracket racing car with 440 that went for 8 grand.  There was the replica KITT Firebird from Knight Rider that went for 11K, and recently, some 1940's Dodge business coupes that I'd love to turn into a streetrod.

I window shop on eBay WAY too much...  :)

Bullitt-

Wasn't so much that they got away but in '79 right after my '73 was wrecked I needed some wheels.
Local bank had an add in the classifieds for a repo'd 78 Super Coupe.. They were asking $3,200 so I offered them $3K which they turned down. I found out the local Hemi mogul Paul Fuller got it for $2,500 after agreeing to deposit a significant sum in a CD account.
A used car dealer had a sweet B5 400CI '73 Charger SE asking $2K, I offered them $1.8K, all the money I had that day, which they turned down.. within the week my good friend Earl's dad, a Chrysler engineer walked in with 16-$100 bills & bought it..  I ended up getting a high mile Black 318 '73 SE for $950.
   Here They are I think the winter of '80 ...stylin with our ROWL Polyglass GT's   

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Finoke

Growing up in North East Philly, the woman who lived in the corner row home had a 69 Barracuda in her garage with a stripe. I first noticed it in 1974 when I was 10. It never moved and I lived a couple doors down with my Parents until I got married in 1988.

Around 1999 I saw the car again when visiting my parents. Still in the garage. I asked my Mom if she would mind if I offered to buy the car. My Mom was appalled and told me no. She told me that the woman's husband had bought the car in 1969 and died in 1970. The woman would go into the garage and sit in the car every now and then.

Out of respect for my Mom I never made an offer. Then I noticed a couple of years later a new garage door had been installed. I asked my Mom and she sheepishly told me the garage door installer bought the car   :barf:

Oh well couldn't be upset for too long. Had to respect my Moms wishes  :bradsthumb:

RzeroB

Found her in California in the mid '80's ... was a '64 model ... flawless Tunisian-Tan body with a silky Lemon-Twist top ... oh she was absolutely gorgeous!  :inlove:  As good as she looked she required a lot of expensive maintenance ... I just couldn't afford to keep her ... so I reluctantly let her go.  :bye:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Spikedog08

Mopar Nationals 1995, B3 blue original HEMI cuda  . . . beautiful!  $45K . . . should of bought it.  Probably could of got it for $40K.  Still have a actual picture of it somewhere . . didn't have digital then . . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

pink aar

About 3 years ago a 69 1/2 440 6 pack, 4 speed hemi orange, white interior all original. It has been sitting since about 1975. The only reason it was parked, because the starter went out. The sum of 10,000.00. A friend has it now and he is going to restore it . He's the right owner for the car.

Chryco Psycho

Great stories !!
Keep them coming .....

ec_co

the only ones for me were a '64 or '65 max wedge car in the Portland area, late '90s for $2500. the other was my friends '70 Barracuda, 318/auto, green/green, bench seat, 8 3/4. someone backed into his driver fender and the insurance company totaled him out, lol. could have got it for $2k early '90's but was short the cash.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

dodj

In 1985, a '71 Challenger R/T 440 4sp. Seller wanted $800. I only had $500....wouldn't sell for $500. Later that year he parted it out..... :verymad:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

There's been a few. Probably my friend Jim Wanner's 70 HemiCuda. Red, bench seat, auto, Super Track Pak car. He made it into an SS/DA like almost everyone else back then and broke the matching #'s block but kept it. I had a 70 Hemi in my 383 Challenger at the time and was going to trade him my Challenger plus cash for the HemiCuda. We never got together on the difference though and eventually the car kept racing and got even more modified. That was around 1981 or so I believe, I would still own that car if I had bought it.
Sheldon

Rich G.

In the early 80s I put a timing chain in a 68 hemi charger at my fathers gas station. Owner said the car wasn't fast enough and wanted 2k for it. Didn't buy it because it was an automatic on the column. And to top that off in Carlisle I was looking at a 71 hemi Cuda. I forget what year that was but I remember he wanted 18K for it and I said no way he'll get that for it. They still haunt me!

Topcat

A 383 70' Cuda Vert for $2,500 back in 89' with a back interior.

That was still a bit of coin even then.