Main Menu

Door Panels

Started by js27, December 06, 2018, 09:03:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

On a 70 Challenger-are front door panels different for 70 than any other years--if so how do you tell ?
Thanks

Burdar

Yes and no.  The VERY early cars didn't come with the woodgrain inserts.  The door panels were just bare plastic.  I think the very early SE's were the only ones that got the woodgrain.  Then sometime early in production, the woodgrain became standard.  After that, all Challenger door panels were the same.

The outer window "fuzzies" attach differently in 1970.  I don't know if there is any difference in the "inner" one that attaches to the door panel or not.

RJChallenger

The 70 door panel had  4 stress release notches, where they attach to the door.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RJChallenger on December 06, 2018, 09:20:08 AM

Yup

So early no woodgrain, All 70 slices at the top curve to let the panel lay right....

js27

My car is a Nov 20 built date and has wood grain and the carpet with reflector on the bottom of the door like the SE and it has the leather interior .
JS27

6bblgt

if the leather or cloth interior was ordered on a JS23/JS27 the wood grain with the "fratzog" & carpeting were part of the up-graded interior

the blank door panels were in use until sometime in November '69 & I think they returned for the Challenger "DEPUTY" coupes in the spring.

Morty426

Quote from: js27 on December 06, 2018, 11:38:16 AM
My car is a Nov 20 built date and has wood grain and the carpet with reflector on the bottom of the door like the SE and it has the leather interior .
JS27

The Bud can in back is awesome.

I once looked at a JS29V0B 4 speed in the Bay Area - back seat was covered in little bottles of Jack Daniels

js27

Take a good look to the right of that Bud can..

Morty426

Quote from: js27 on December 07, 2018, 06:13:47 AM

Oh a little drinking buddy

cudaized

Quote from: RJChallenger on December 06, 2018, 09:20:08 AM
1970 `cuda340 convertible 4-speed Rallye Red with Red interior cudaized.com 1970-71 Plymouth and Dodge E-Body Convertible Registry ebodyconvertibleregistry.com

cudaized

Challenger back side.
1970 `cuda340 convertible 4-speed Rallye Red with Red interior cudaized.com 1970-71 Plymouth and Dodge E-Body Convertible Registry ebodyconvertibleregistry.com

js27

C_B5

Another difference on the 1970 door panels compared to later ones is the number of clips along the bottom edge used to attach to the door frame.

In my experience the earlier ones have fewer clips maybe 4-5 where's the later ones have 7 all the way across like the photo of the red door panel in Ola's post.

Also I have a copy of the original factory bulletin that details when all the door panels were to receive the inserts. Will try to locate and post the info.

DocDave

Quote from: js27 on December 07, 2018, 06:13:47 AM

Just goes to prove "Drinking and Driving Don't Mix", it can kill.
DocDave - Retired so I can play

70 Challenger Lover

Both my 70s had no woodgrain insert. One was built August 69 and the other December 69. Neither are SE cars.