Main Menu

Lower control arm question

Started by 76orangewagon, February 23, 2018, 05:41:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

76orangewagon

I am a little confused regarding the finish on my lower control arms, I stripped away the years of crap and found Blue paint inspection marks on the torsion bar height adjustment arms, I've seen this mark on other E-body lower control arms but it's my understanding that the lower control arms were dipped in Cosmoline before assembly and the inspection marks were applied after assembly before shipping...correct ?
So my question is :Were the paint marks applied over the sticky Cosmoline ? That seems to me that it wouldn't dry properly ? 

anlauto

I've found that blue paint on a lot of control arms as well. I agree, I don't think the blue paint would survive after the control arm was dipped, or if it was put on at the assembly plant by a line worker after the car was assembled......

I believe the blue paint was put on at the vendor's plant before cosmoline dipping, maybe just for quick identification  :dunno: , but that's only an assumption....I was only 5 when these cars were being assembled.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Because I actually dip mine in the same type cosmoline, I assemble the control arm first with the bushing and shaft, the rebound bumper, and the blue inspection mark BEFORE dipping, that way I'm not handling the control arm a lot when it's gooey :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

76orangewagon