Main Menu

Dual snorkel housing differences

Started by YellowThumper, July 14, 2020, 08:45:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Are our dual snorkel housings exclusive to Ebodies or are they the same as other models? Such as B bodies and C bodies?
This one I jy picked up 30ish years ago. If memory serves correct it was a 70ish Cbody I got it off of.
Disregard the smog valve between snorkels. I added that because my 74 needed it retained to pass inspection.
Chrome dome is my add also...
Do they number stamp anything on these?
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cuda Cody

B body and E Body would be the same, but 1970 and 1971 are different.  In 1970 both sides have a straight line on the snorkles, but in 1971 they have a half circle.  From the small photo it looks like yours is 1971.

This is a 1970

https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-misc-for-sale/9/1970-440383-dual-snorkel-air-cleaner/8039/

DeathProofCuda

That is definitely not a 71.  Sorry, but Cuda Cody is wrong on this one.  71s do not have half circles on the snorkels.  They are straight, just like the 70s, but 71s have an extra hose that runs around the back of the air cleaner housing.  Like this:

https://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner/71_383ds_03.jpg

This is the best air cleaner ID resource I have found:

https://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

The passenger side snorkel on yours is definitely the style used from 72 and up.

RUNCHARGER

On the 71 the breather hose comes around and goes into the driver's side snorkle, in 70 the breather hose goes into the back psgr side of the aircleaner. 72's look similar to 70's.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

This pic should be clearer.
Assuming the "half circle" you are stating is the side of passenger snorkel.
That then puts this into the 72 realm because breather hose does not wrap around the opposite snorkel.

Mike.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: YellowThumper on July 15, 2020, 07:40:01 AM
This pic should be clearer.
Assuming the "half circle" you are stating is the side of passenger snorkel.
That then puts this into the 72 realm because breather hose does not wrap around the opposite snorkel.

Correct. 

It is very common to see this style of air cleaner repainted black to replace a missing original on a '70 383 or 440 4 barrel car.  However that difference in the passenger side snorkel is an easily spotted give away that the air cleaner is not correct for the car.

Skdmark

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on July 14, 2020, 09:22:17 PM
That is definitely not a 71.  Sorry, but Cuda Cody is wrong on this one.  71s do not have half circles on the snorkels.  They are straight, just like the 70s, but 71s have an extra hose that runs around the back of the air cleaner housing.  Like this:

https://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner/71_383ds_03.jpg

This is the best air cleaner ID resource I have found:

https://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

The passenger side snorkel on yours is definitely the style used from 72 and up.

I disagree with "71s do not have half circles on the snorkels"

71 air cleaners do have the half circle on the passenger side snorkel along with the hose that wraps around the back of the base to the drivers side. According to the ICCA judging book, the half circle started to appear around March of 1970 on the 70 air cleaners too.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

DeathProofCuda

@Skdmark, you are correct and I am wrong.  My apologies also to @ Cuda Cody.

I took another look at the Nick's Garage site, and saw the following on the 71 air cleaners.  Looks like both were available.

"1971 383 and 440 4-Barrel. Has breather hose coming from left snorkel. There are two versions of the right snorkel design. Some of them have a straight line running diagonally and other have a hump in the line."

Thanks for pointing this out.  I learn something new on this site every day.  :cheers:

YellowThumper

It is amazing how a picture can bring back long lost memories.
When I saw this pic on the nicksgarage site.
Boom! Recollection hits that this is it.
Definitely was pulled from a C-body. Although don't know if that it was on correct car when I pulled it.

Mike.

6bblgt

& I'll agree to disagree  :pullinghair:

1970 air cleaners DO NOT have the half circle on the passenger side snorkel PERIOD!

the half circle is for the "spout" on the driver's side snorkel on the '71 cars

1970 NO half circle (either side)
early 1971 half circle driver's side ONLY for the "spout"
mid- & late-'71 half circle on both sides (driver's side "spout")
1972+ half circle both sides NO "spout"

6bblgt

B, C & E-bodies they are ALL the same for a given model year: 440 4bbl, 440HP, 383 4bbl, 383HP

YellowThumper

Thanks all...
Never figured there would be such simple small variations to them.

Mike.

70 Challenger Lover

The half circle on the passenger snorkel started sometime in 1971. I have two 1971 dual snorkel air cleaners. One has a flat line, the other a half circle. I had a bunch over the years and found them to be common in both varieties.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 15, 2020, 05:06:10 PM
& I'll agree to disagree  :pullinghair:

1970 air cleaners DO NOT have the half circle on the passenger side snorkel PERIOD!

the half circle is for the "spout" on the driver's side snorkel on the '71 cars

1970 NO half circle (either side)
early 1971 half circle driver's side ONLY for the "spout"
mid- & late-'71 half circle on both sides (driver's side "spout")
1972+ half circle both sides NO "spout"

I hate to beat what should be a dead horse at this point, but now I'm really confused.  :deadhorse: