Main Menu

fender turn signals

Started by pink aar, April 25, 2017, 06:29:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

I printed it out using " Microsoft PAINT" with 1/2" borders @ 100% (took four 8-1/2x11" pages) ***** the 3" line is 3-7/16" lg.  :thinking:

Cuda Cody

It's easy for me to use as I just take it in to my CAD program and scale the 3" line then I can print it perfectly.

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 25, 2017, 11:14:23 PM
So, what do you guys think?

When you print this out, is the 3 inch safety line actually 3 inches?
Any problems?

Is this something that would be useful to people?

I'm thinking there's a few things which are regularly asked for, where templates might be nice.
fender pentastar
'Cuda tailpanel emblem
'Cuda door panel emblems
Manual transmission reverse light
etc.

6bblgt

I think those that use some kind of graphics program (or other software or hardware) take for granted that the majority of internet users have similar capabilities/resources

take the quantity of persons who ask for help or just don't bother to post pics, for example

cataclysm80

Thanks for trying guys!
It needs to be easy for everyone to use if it's going to work.

At the moment, I'd suspect that the issue involves the image being full page size, and the printable area being a little less than full page size causes part of the image to be pushed onto the next page.

Dan, can you print it with 0 borders instead of 1/2 inch borders?

My printer isn't hooked up here at the house, so I haven't tried printing it yet myself.
I'll play with it more later.

cataclysm80

At least the 3 inch safety line is working. 
Each of you knows whether the template printed to the proper scale.  :)

6bblgt

this printer won't do zero boarders, I did manipulate them so the edges and 3" line were on the same page
- are the original templates 925 x 1200 or is the ebody.org software changing them?

6bblgt

tried it with "Windows PHOTOS" smaller 1/8" boarders but 3" line is 2-15/16"

OPTIONs were "fill" or "shrink to fit" - output was the same for both

cataclysm80

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 26, 2017, 12:12:18 AM
- are the original templates 925 x 1200 or is the ebody.org software changing them?

You've solved it Dan,  That's what's happening.
The original images were scanned at 300 DPI (Dots Per Inch).  That made them 2552 x 3308.
The image is getting compressed when it's uploaded to the forum.  (The same thing happens on Facebook.)

Regardless of whether you click the link at the bottom of the pic, or right click on it and click save, you get an image that's 925 x 1200.

Perhaps I'll be able to adjust the file size of the original image so that it's small enough to not require compression during uploading?
If that's possible, I think it would make it work properly for everyone.  :)

Glancing through the site, it looks like 1200 pixels is the largest picture dimension I'm seeing.

cataclysm80

OK, next test...

I've changed it to 100 Dots Per Inch to make the file size smaller.  The file is now 851 x 1103 pixels, and hopefully won't require any compression to be displayed on the forum.

The physical dimensions of the image did not change, it's still 8.5 inches x 11 inches.

Does it work any better now?

I'll try printing it tomorrow at my office.

6bblgt

the 3" line measures 300 pixels in "PAINT" & at 100% prints out at 3-1/8"  :rolleyes:

maybe some restoration templates need to be in the "prize closet" with a points cost to cover printing & postage?

cataclysm80

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 26, 2017, 12:53:05 AM
I'll try printing it tomorrow at my office.

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 26, 2017, 12:20:44 AM
tried it with "Windows PHOTOS" smaller 1/8" boarders but 3" line is 2-15/16"

I just printed it at my office with Windows Photo Viewer.  For me, the line was 2 7/8.
There is a small border around the edges of the printed copy, which is not on the original.
I think the issue is that the physical dimensions of the image need to be smaller than the printable space on the page.

I can't crop anything off the edges with reference marks, but maybe taking half an inch or more off the other two sides of the page would fix it.

Jay Bee

FWIW, I finally found these on my harddrive. Got looking after seeing Convertcuda's thread for 1971 locatons.
I was told this was a 1970 fender. Obviously, the starting point of the tape is very important.