Main Menu

first restoration project

Started by dsandberg, August 05, 2017, 10:33:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dsandberg

Hi everyone, I just bought a 1970 dodge challenger last week and its going to be my first restoration project. As of right now, its almost completely stripped and there was very few things that came with it. I'm looking to see what you all have done, what you recommend doing, and don't recommend doing. So far I've decided to try and get some body work done first, like floor panel replacement, A pillar needs some work, driver rocker panel, and replacing the driver rear quarter panel. The car also came with a 318 stock and im planning on putting a 440 in it, so im going to have to add torque boxes, update the suspension, and get rid of the 7 1/4 rear end. I know this is an older car so it doesn't have a whole lot of wiring, but Ive found one connector so far (up by fire way), like I said, the car was stripped when I got it, so if anyone knows where to get wiring harnesses and what not, please let my know. Any recommendations on where to look for parts to, ive looked on craigslist, ebay, summit racing, and facebook a little bit.

And thank you all for the help in advance.

RUNCHARGER

Welcome from B.C. Canada.
70 Challengers are really cool cars. What type of car are you looking to have in the end? For example stock looking musclecar or modified Pro Touring with 20 inch wheels? It can really change how you go about things.
Also, bodywork is really costly so a lot of us take it on ourselves. Would you have the patience, tools and place to work on it to try that or will you have to farm the heavy bodywork out?
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Welcome & thanks for the pictures
Body work is where I start , you can start to track down parts while the body work is being done , are you planning to do a lot of the body work yourself ?
There are member discounts from a number of suppliers here as well to help you source the needed parts .
Year one has the best wiring harnesses & there are often special sales so wait for those .
Dave & Roseville can source almost anything for you & also has member discounts
CP

Cuda Cody

Welcome @dsandberg   :welcome:    :wave:  Looks like a fun project you found there.  AC car with manual brakes and manual steering.  You can update to power brakes pretty easy.  I prefer the M&H wiring that Year One sells.  It's 100% factory color matched and works with all the factory connectors so it makes it really easy.  You can wait and find discounts codes up to 30% off or you can use the E-Bodies discount code to get up to 25% off anytime...

https://forum.e-bodies.org/deals-coupons-vendor-specials-and-product-reviews/16/e-bodies-org-site-supporters-discount-codes/1062/

Dave at Roseville will give you great pricing on a lot of stuff too.  Just tell him you are with the EBO group and he'll take good care of you.

As for metal work, I like to media blast them first so I can see all the rust and make sure I know what I am dealing with.  Always metal prep and put it in epoxy right after blasting.  Let us know if there are any questions you have and we'll be happy to point you in the right direction.   :twothumbsup:

dsandberg

Thanks guys, you've been a big help already. I am planning on doing the body work myself. As for what I want the car to be, more less a weekend driver, but might drag it a few times.