Main Menu

Brad's second '70 'Cuda and first and last restoration project

Started by usraptor, February 07, 2017, 05:17:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Like I said in my intro, I have an extensive restoration thread over at C.C.com.  So anyway, I'm just going to start this restoration thread at where I am currently at.  A few weeks ago I dropped the engine and trans to swap out my junk headers that I used for engine break in with my polished ceramic TTI 1 7/8" headers.  While the  engine was out I also figured it was a good time stamp my transmission with the factory style "677" so I ordered some of those very expensive simulated stamps.  After waiting almost a month after I ordered it, the stamps finally arrived.  After several trial attempts trying to judge how much paint to apply to the stamps and how hard to push, etc,  I finally stamped the transmission.  I'm not really happy with how it came out but I don't see it getting any better.  Anyway, here are some pics of the TTI headers as well as the transmission stamps.

Ever have one of those Murphy's law days when working on your car and afterwards you're just ready to throw in the towel and list it for sale?  Today was one of those days for me.  Seemed like everything that could go wrong did.  I tired and eventually succeeded in re-installing the engine and trans back in the car by myself, but what should have been an easy job fought me at every step.  I won't bore you with the details but I'm not  happy camper today.  Anybody want to buy a partially finished matching no. 440 '70 Cuda?

Cuda Cody

Looking good man!!!  Sorry to hear you're not happy with the stamps.  I've have good luck with thicker ink or paints, but it looks like you did pretty good.  Remember, the factory wasn't making art, they were just putting numbers on the trans to help identify it. :alan2cents:  Hopefully you'll relax tonight and get re-motivated to finish your car.  You're doing great!

xx88man

Quote from: usraptor on February 07, 2017, 05:17:54 PM
Anybody want to buy a partially finished matching no. 440 '70 Cuda?

You don't really want to sell your beloved Cuda.....but if you do want to sell I'm in the market!   :pokeeye:
Keep yer foot in it

usraptor

One step forward and two back.  Took the engine and trans back out of the car today to remove the oil pan to inspect the oil pick up tube after yesterdays accident.
Glad to report the pick up tube was undamaged.  I also inspected the bottom of my oil pan for metal debris/shaving since it still had the break in oil in it.  Glad to report there was none.

I ordered a new pan from 440 Source and a new re-usable windage tray from Jegs (Thanks Cody). 

Traced some electrical issues with my tach and think I found the problem (again thanks to Cody-what would we do without you on the sites).

Forgot that yesterday I sprayed the inside of my passenger front fender with undercoating.  That way it will be ready for paint next week if my body man comes through.  Need to buy another can to do the driver's side.  One can doesn't go as far as I thought it would.

All in all today was a better day in spite of everything  Onward and forward.

nsmall

Taking a break can be good. Have a buddy help you can be good too.

Matching number 440 Cuda? Sounds pretty awesome to me. putting that set up in by yourself?  Pretty impressive. I'm proud of myself just for taking tires off by myself. 

Hang in there. 

HP_Cuda

Even though its a pain to take steps back (god knows I did a million) you will be very happy with the finished product and take pride in what you accomplished.

Stick with it!!!

:twothumbsup: :bigthumb: :twothumbsup:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

usraptor

Got back at it again. Nothing really picture worthy, but accomplished a fair amount.  Anyway, installed the new oil pan and windage tray that Cody recommended that I got from Jegs.  Nice not to have to use any gasket cement.  Put the engine back on the K-Frame and with the help of my wife (she worked the lift and handed me tools when I was under the car) got the engine and trans reinstalled.   :woohoo:
Sanded and painted the torsion bars.  Again, with my wife's help installed and aligned the steering column.  Adjusted and hooked up the trans linkage and Z bar linkage and lot of other small stuff that needed to be done. Ordered some parts for the Z bar linkage that didn't come with the rebuild kit???  The radiator developed a small leak at the lower hose fitting so I removed it and will take it in to the radiator shop to have it soldered.   Got a text from my body man that we might be able to get the car in to the shop on Monday for final paint work so I'll  gathered up all the small parts that will also need to be painted along with the larger body panels. I media blasted the small parts and then painted them with primer/sealer which included the driver's side remote mirror.  I know my car came with a passenger side mirror, but I'll be darned if I can find it.   :headbang:  Hopefully when we move all the body panels out of the storage room it will appear. It's been three years since we did the initial paint work so I'm super excited to finally get the paint work finished.  :D 
I also installed my new to me QA1 shocks that I purchased from another forum member.   Fronts went on with no problems but since I was installing the rears on traction bars (the car came with them and I like the nostalgic look) I had a problem fitting them.  The old bolts on the traction bars were toast so I had cut them off and replaced them.  Problem was the bottom fitting on the shock is the correct size for the original leaf spring retaining plates, but they're an old ball size for any bolts at the store.  After going to two stores I found finally some sleeves that fit perfectly with 1/2" hardened bolts.  The bolts are a little two long so eventually I'll replace them with shorter ones. 
Today, I installed the torsion bars and new dust boots.  What a pain they were, both the boots and torsion bars.  I've removed and installed the torsion bars at least a half dozen times since I've had the car and they were never a problem.  Today,  I couldn't get the LCA torsion bar fitting in the correct orientation to get the bar to slide in?? :verymad: Anyway, after a lot of playing around I got the passenger side in, but the driver's side just was not cooperating no matter what I did, even after I undid the shock and the upper control arm.  After using a ratchet strap to pull the suspension down another 3/8" I got the bar in.  I also discovered that the driver's side torsion bar hits the TTI headers.  That may be why it was such a bear to get in.   :notsure:  I  followed some suggestions I found on Google about stretching the rubber dust boots over sockets and then slipping them off the socket over the knuckle on the torsion bar.  It worked for the passenger side.  However, when doing that for the driver's side I ended up tearing the boot.   :pullinghair: I had read where one guy cut his and glued them back together so since I wanted to get the bars installed before they take the car to paint, I put it on anyway and will try gluing it when it comes back.   Anyway, like I said, nothing really picture worth, but I got a lot accomplished.  Now I just need the body shop to come through and pick up the car tomorrow. 

usraptor

Well after almost 5 years my Cuda finally went back to the Body shop for the final paint work.  They have to touch up the right rear quarter panel and paint the doors, front fenders, trunk lid, shaker hood and front and rear valances.    :banana:  I can't wait to see the final product!    Naturally, I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off this morning trying to find all the bolts and U-nuts for the front fenders and after going through ALL my parts tots I couldn't find them.    :pullinghair: Anyway, after we got the car and all the parts delivered, I came home, got on the internet and ordered new  ones.  Naturally, then I went out in the shop and found them in a bag on my work bench.    :headbang:  So tomorrow AM I'll drop them off at the shop bright and early so they can start hanging the doors, fenders and hood to test fit everything for proper gaps before they do the final paint work.  Considering, my body guy already did the body work and primed all the pieces, including the guide coat 5 years ago,  they should good to go; but they want to do one final block sand to verify they didn't get dinged while sitting around the last 5 years.  Here's some pics of them loading the car into the trailer.    :)

Cuda Cody

:banana:  Good times!!!!   You'll be at cars shows with that beauty this summer!   :popcorn:

RUNCHARGER

Excellent! There should be no sanding scratches with primer that old. i get doubles of stuff the same way you do, it drives me crazy.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

That's one of the good things about waiting that long.  No pull back in the old primer shrinking!   :clapping:

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 02, 2017, 07:24:17 PM
Excellent! There should be no sanding scratches with primer that old. i get doubles of stuff the same way you do, it drives me crazy.

usraptor

Wow! Work is progressing very nicely on the Cuda at the body shop. Ron has made some repairs to the doors, fenders and front header panel and got them all hung and gaps checked already. At this rate we'll be in paint in no time!  :-)

Cuda Cody

Coming along nicely.   :twothumbsup:

If you don't have all your guts and windows in the doors, add about 52 pounds of weight spread out along the bottom of the inside of the door.  That will mimic the weight of the guts and pre-sag the door while you're doing the bodywork.  That assures that your gaps will be nice and perfect when you get all guts back in it after your done.   :alan2cents:  Also make sure you are doing the bodywork with your restored or re-pinned door hinges in place.

usraptor

Yep, first thing he did Cody was rebuild the door hinges.  Good idea about adding weight.