Main Menu

When did you get your first E-Body?

Started by Cuda Cody, December 28, 2019, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I bought my first and only e-body in 2012. I was actually looking for a Cuda but a guy in Wisconsin sent me a picture of his 74 Challenger and I fell in love with it. That was my first entry into the classic car hobby and I've fully fallen in love with it. I love driving them, working on them and meeting lots of great people.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

gzig5

1983.  I was 15.  Dad said he'd buy my first car for less than $1k and I had to work to put gas in it and pay insurance.  I had my heart set on a Mopar but pickings were slim in our area.  I was hoping he might let me drive the 67 Mustang convertible we had rebuilt together but he didn't think that was a good idea and sold it three months before I turned 16.  I was ticked.  Turns out, he had a line on a 1972 Barracuda the whole time.  Guy from work wife's car.  B7 blue with a 318 automatic.  He paid $900 for it and we did the bodywork and painted it "midnight metalic blue".  I put headers, duals, a Performer intake and 600 Holley on it.  It was pretty much still a dog, running on seven cylinders.  Didn't have any money to put in the motor.  Got in an accident and it sat for a few years and we finally got sold it when I was 20 and going away to school.  I have pretty much had all Mopars since with the exception of a 94 Grand Prix GTP that only lasted a year.  When I turned 50 I got the bug again and found the 73 Cuda I'm working on now. 

303 Mopar

I had to wait until the summer of 2013 to buy this '71 Challenger. Swapped out the 360 for a 408 stroker and learned a lot working on this car. I ended up trading it for my '70 Cuda and the Challenger was sold again is now in New Zealand.

Chryco Psycho

I was heading over to my friends house when I was 17 , he lived about 6 blocks away & there was a White U code 70 Chall 4 spd that sat in front of a house between our houses , as I went by the Chall had a for sale sign on it , I parked my truck in the middle of the road & ran to the house , gave him a deposit & was back within the hour with the $1200 & bought it , this would have been 77 , kept the car 2 years & drove it everywhere for 2 summers . A guy started coming to the door weekly & offered more & more $$ & I always said no until the price exceeded 3x what I had paid for it so I sold it , it broke my heart watching it drive away , the $$ meant Nothing , I just wanted the car back !!
Now I was on a mission , I had to replace the car , in 80 I found the 70 R/T SE FC7 4 spd Challenger i still own today , I have been offered a blank check for the car but still remember the feeling vividly last time I sold my Chall & I have never considered selling this time  :cooldance:

Marty

I was stationed at AAFB Md in the early '90s. I use to see a 1973 Barracuda running around the base often. At the time I spent a lot of time at the Auto Hobby Shop painting cars on the side to finance the building my 1970 Corvette.

One day a kid that I knew drop in asked me if I would paint his 1971 Camaro and for payment, he would give me that particular 1973 Barracuda. His neighbor gave it to him. Since he lived on Base and parking was very limited he didn't want to mess with it. I accepted the Barracuda. Once the paintwork was done he handed over the keys and title.

1973 Barracuda. Brown with a white vinyl top. 318/automatic w/console. Off white interior with plaid bucket seats. It ran great. I changed out the hood, fixed the fuel gauge and front marker light then painted red. I sold it for $2000 on a rainy day. It was full of body filler and I really didn't want to fool with the major bodywork. I really should have kept it knowing what I could have done with it later on as my knowledge in restoration expanded, but my interests just weren't focused on the Mopar stuff at the time. Now that I have the 1970 Barracuda, I'm making up for lost time, but at a much higher $$$$.