Main Menu

Fuel Tank

Started by tdwnilla1, May 20, 2022, 02:43:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tdwnilla1

Hello Everyone,

I have been having a fuel issue with some gurgling in the tank after running my car down the highway as well as issues idling and was getting ready to replace my fuel lines with Stainless anyway. I crawled under the car and saw a little tank with several hoses going between it and my fuel tank. Can anyone enlighten me ad what this little tank is and perhaps what each line does ? I purchased a new main and return line which was all I saw available for this car (1973 Cuda). As always, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Todd

Bullitt-

Part of the emissions system that captures gas fumes. Would have been connected to the Charcoal Cannister on the passenger side front fender then to the carburetor to pull the fumes though the engine.
If the vent lines are capped off it's possible to create a vapor lock in the tank which can restrict fuel flow...
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

tdwnilla1

I do actually still have a charcoal canister and a line hooked to it going back to my tank. That would be my vent line then correct? It is not capped off just doesn't hook to the carburetor

Bullitt-

Quote from: tdwnilla1 on May 20, 2022, 04:21:11 PM
I do actually still have a charcoal canister and a line hooked to it going back to my tank. That would be my vent line then correct? It is not capped off just doesn't hook to the carburetor
I would think so, it seems more folks run it this way than with a stock carb connected...
I guess there is a possibility that the check valve in the Vapor Liquid Separator (thing with 4-lines) could be stuck shut.. 
If you suspect your are getting a vapor lock in the fuel tank loosen/remove the gas cap and see if things clear up.   
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

7212Mopar

I think stock just have a supply and the vapor vent to the charcoal canister. There is no return line. I recall someone said that thing in the picture has ball checks in the tubing. So if they are corroded and blocked shut unable to vent, that might explain the problem you are having.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

moparroy

Yes there is a check valve in that vent "canister". The four lines each go to one corner of the fuel tank - inside the fuel tank. I guess that is to ensure vent regardless of fuel level or slosh?
The check valve I believe is a roll over valve - I believe it prevents fuel from running up the vent line that goes up to the charcoal canister. If any fuel condenses in the canister one of the lines is set up to drain into the tank if level gets up.
All the charcoal canister does is collect fumes - the charcoal absorbs them and then releases them into the engine when running. Just prevents fumes from release through the vent in your garage when the car is sitting. If the carb is not connected you can still have some fumes released from the floats into the atmosphere / garage.
My four line vent canister had some pin holes - I patched it and brazed it to ensure a good seal. check valve was still operational.