Main Menu

Good pin question

Started by Plumcrazy72, June 10, 2018, 06:47:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

I think you need to rotate the pins, don't you want to pull the pin forward, and not to center of hood?
Less chance of scratching the hood

70/6chall

Here's a strange one. When I bought my Slant6 '70 Challenger, I noticed the drivers fender only had factory holes for the hood pin application. So when I was able to purchase a power bulge hood, off of a 383 R/T car, the hood already had the pin bezels in place. I made a template off drivers side flipped it over for the passengers side and drilled my holes. Removed the flat hood set the bulge hood in place after setting the pins in the fenders. Aligned hood and "viola".  Thanks,   Al

RUNCHARGER

Challenger pins went in from the side.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 12, 2018, 09:48:17 PM
Challenger pins went in from the side.

I'd like to see proof of that, I've often heard the same thing.....I don't like it... :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

Quote1972-'74 hood pins were no longer an OPTION, but you could get fender turn signals with the bulge (two-scoop) hood on a Rallye or 340/360 Challenger

Are you sure 72's came with the turn signals AND the bulge hood?  The reason I ask is that 72's still used the smaller 70-71 style turn signal housings.  73's got the new larger style.  I often wondered if they started allowing the fender mounted turn signal with the bulge hood because of those new lights.  :dunno:  I know my 73 has them but 72 is kind of an odd year.  Some things stayed the same from the earlier years but other things mimic the later years.

RUNCHARGER

Alan: The hood slopes down to the front, if you try to put the pins in from the front you have to jack up the pin so they will clear in back then there is a gap in front. You end up with marked up bezels that way.
Sheldon

headejm

:popcorn: Not sure I've seen one E-body with the pins sideways.

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 13, 2018, 08:31:37 AM
Alan: The hood slopes down to the front, if you try to put the pins in from the front you have to jack up the pin so they will clear in back then there is a gap in front. You end up with marked up bezels that way.

I'm aware of that, but I thought you were saying it was supposed to be from the side from the factory ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6bblgt

I think with the limited number of OPTIONS available for '72 and newer E-bodies, restrictions were simplified or eliminated

here are '72 JH & JS examples with 340s, two-scooped hoods & fender turn signals

RUNCHARGER

Could be Alan: I'll see if I can blow up some photos of my FM3 car when I bought it, my 71 had been painted when I bought it so it was probably messed wtih.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

There are plenty of magazine shots from 70-71 showing the clip sideways...   

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 13, 2018, 09:51:39 AM
Could be Alan: I'll see if I can blow up some photos of my FM3 car when I bought it, my 71 had been painted when I bought it so it was probably messed wtih.

But...any smart thinking guy, even at a dealer, could have turned them to avoid scratching the bezels as you mentioned....

RUNCHARGER

I do remember replacing the plates on my FM3 car because they were marked up though. I'll do a search this weekend, of course that won't be defining by any means.
Sheldon