Main Menu

GYC ebay price?

Started by MikeMikeMike, September 05, 2018, 11:06:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Don't get me wrong, I like the show from the car aspect of it and some of the information that gets passed along.  But I made a vow after the first couple episodes that I saw that if I ever won the lottery, there was no way in Hell I would ever send that bunch of idiots a car for restoration.  Maybe it was all yucked up for TV but I doubt it.  I don't appreciate that guy's ego and don't find the show very amusing, but they wouldn't be there if it was all about the cars.  They seem to be a bit saner lately but still, I can't get that bad taste out of my mouth.

anlauto

So please explain to me how they were able to lower their all inclusive price (car + restoration) from the first advertised price of $100K to the now advertised price of $85K ?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1970-Plymouth-Barracuda-Cuda-340/163254999877?hash=item2602c19b45:g:MEsAAOSwvu5biJjj

Is the quality of the restoration going to be the same ?

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Lemontwist

I've seen their work close up and I wouldn't let them touch one of my cars.  SO many things wrong and their info they give is about half correct.
Drew

Cuda_mark

Quote from: Lemontwist on September 14, 2018, 06:07:12 AM
I've seen their work close up and I wouldn't let them touch one of my cars.  SO many things wrong and their info they give is about half correct.

But the commercial for the show says 100% OE correct!

I cant imagine how frustrating it must be for a guy like Alan to watch that show knowing all of the things they are doing incorrectly.

kdcarman

Quote from: Cuda_mark on September 14, 2018, 06:36:31 AM
Quote from: Lemontwist on September 14, 2018, 06:07:12 AM

But the commercial for the show says 100% OE correct!

I cant imagine how frustrating it must be for a guy like Alan to watch that show knowing all of the things they are doing incorrectly.

I would actually like to hear Alan's opinion regarding the quality of their restorations.

I know Alan already commented on the fixed price sale of the car.  Budget does impact quality of the restoration.  That is always the fine line when restoring a car.  Alan was very careful through the restoration process with me to explain options a long the way.  (And yes the various options had a direct impact on cost).

In the case of this Grave Yards Car they just reduced the price to $85k.
Question:
1) Did they just reduce their profit by $15K?
2) Did they just figure out how to cut more corners on the restoration?

On one hand it is nice to have fixed price for the resto.  On the other hand the fixed price have a direct impact on the end state.   

RUNCHARGER

To be honest I am surprised they dropped the BIN. I see the ad more as Shop advertising than an actual car ad.
Sheldon

ec_co

Mark recently became a contributing editor of Mopar Muscle and as such has had a front section dedicated to his words of 'wisdom'. every time I read one it sounds like the hype train pushing his ego up more.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

anlauto

I've seen maybe one or two whole episodes which I fast forwarded through Mark's dancing BS....and I've seen maybe a dozen scenes on YouTube...
I can not stand the show, and YES I found myself yelling at the TV for the incorrect details they were "sharing" with the world....
Personally, I don't believe I've ever seen one of their finished cars. I'm sure the quality is there, they wouldn't be in business if it wasn't....Are customers paying more or waiting longer just to have a GYC restored car.....most likely....

AS for this black Cuda on eBay just being advertising.....I say two things.....

Most, if not all, good shops are busy enough they don't need to advertise, and does dropping the price 15% really look good for a company or make them look desperate ?  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6pack

Now there selling the BH SEMA car on EBAY.  What do you think it will go for?

ScottSmith_Harms

The one that was stolen? Guess they got it back?

Mopsquad

Quote from: MikeMikeMike on September 05, 2018, 11:30:53 AM
Yeah, If anything, I'd be less suspect of GYC's quality if they charged more in that ebay ad.

If I were to send out an e-body it would go to Alan. No question.  :worship:

And it has nothing to do with me being half Canadian   ;)

Which half?  lol

anlauto

Well into six figures I would guess https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Plymouth-Barracuda/163269726632?hash=item2603a251a8:g:A-kAAOSwCa1bpD0C

Surprised @Tony didn't sell them the correct looking rims ?

anlauto

Restoration prices must be getting cheaper...the car is now $80K https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1970-Plymouth-Barracuda-Cuda-340/163298262787  I wonder if the restoration is the same quality as the $100K offering ?