Main Menu

Price of Beef ?

Started by anlauto, May 29, 2021, 10:42:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Another thing people need to watch is inflation by shrinking product size. That one works on the principle of the frog in the pan of water. People don't notice quickly enough to redirect their purchases. Case in point, I walked past a huge display of 36 roll toilet paper cases (used to be 36) at Costco and thought I should grab one just to stay ahead of any future tissue issue. When I picked it up, I realized the price was the same, yet the package only had 30 rolls. Upon further investigation after getting it home, I saw that the width of the rolls was almost 1/2" narrower than what I had gotten in prior purchases. Narrower rolls = more rolls produced for less product. So from 36 to 30, same price, and a half inch narrower. Don't think they won't be doing this with food packaging later. As long as we keep printing more and more money outside of the long gone gold standard, the dollars will go far less. I fear we are in for a ride.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

dodj

Price of beef went up about 3, 4 years ago..so..... :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

worthywads

A lot of Just In Time management going bad right now.  Make production lean and mean, then fall flat on your face when demand increases and production can't keep up.  But yeah let's blame it on Dems, not some weaknesses in capitalism.

blown motor

@cuda hunter The price of beef has absolutely nothing to do with Joe Biden. Demand for beef is up and that drives the price especially in light of reduced supply. It takes about two years to bring a dropped calf to market so there is always a big time lag in the beef industry between demand and supply. This has nothing to do with Biden, the Democrats or any other political leader or party. This is simply market forces at work as they have always been and will continue to be.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Skid Row

:pullinghair: The rising cost of fuel is directly related to rising cost goods, Period. And I think we all know what/who caused that.
Of course you may believe double digit inflation,Unemployment & interest rates in the late 70's wasn't Jimmy Carters fault.

worthywads

Quote from: Skid Row on June 05, 2021, 08:37:24 AM
:pullinghair: The rising cost of fuel is directly related to rising cost goods, Period. And I think we all know what/who caused that.
Of course you may believe double digit inflation,Unemployment & interest rates in the late 70's wasn't Jimmy Carters fault.

Actually it was Nixon's polices that began the inflation of the 70s.  It was already over 12% in 1974, brought on by Nixon who untied the dollar from gold, while introduced wage and price control.  Ranchers actually rebelled and held back cattle from going to market on Nixon's watch. It was during Nixon's term when the OPEC Oil Embargo hit in 1974, not Nixon's fault but a huge contributor to inflation.  The Fed which Carter didn't control raised interest rates to 20% trying to stop what Nixon started.

So no it wasn't simply just Jimmy Carter's fault.

Unemployment was higher under Ford and dropped during Carter.

You want to simplify current high beef to a momentary rise in cost of fuel?

Forbes explains why your conclusion that you know what/who caused this is ludicrous.  Supply and demand as Blown Motor said is a real thing that Biden has no control over.  Period.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2021/03/06/who-is-to-blame-for-rising-gasoline-prices/?sh=98adff8329c4

Here is a good video on Just In Time manufacturing and how it has helped caused the current shortages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1JlYZQG3lI&t=331s

Swamp Donkey

My wife just picked me up a T-bone steak.  I previously said steaks here were around $15/ lb.  They jacked up the price to 19.99 a lb.  One steak for me to BBQ myself was 23 bucks.  Oooof.  Musta been at least 18 oz.   :bradsthumb:
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

cuda hunter

Quote from: blown motor on June 05, 2021, 07:23:37 AM
@cuda hunter The price of beef has absolutely nothing to do with Joe Biden. Demand for beef is up and that drives the price especially in light of reduced supply. It takes about two years to bring a dropped calf to market so there is always a big time lag in the beef industry between demand and supply. This has nothing to do with Biden, the Democrats or any other political leader or party. This is simply market forces at work as they have always been and will continue to be.

I apologize for spitting politics here.  While I do agree with You, and the data in some ways I also disagree.  But this isn't the place.  Again I shouldn't have. If I wanna talk politics there is always fabo and fbbo.  My mistake. 
Bad morning it was.  Talking on the phone with a friend of mine who has some 1500 cattle and listening to his opinion on his livelihood just set me off when I saw this topic. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

HP2

A part of demand that we haven't even touched on here but it impacts a great deal of prices we pay on a lot of commodites we consume is futures investment. There are bunches of people out there betting on price indexes and profiting or loosing off of it, and its all legal.

anlauto

Okay so two weeks ago I posted the price of steaks I bought...well in 14 days the price went up $2.21/kg  :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

Jesus! That's $38 a pound Alan! Time to lay off the tenderloin steaks or at least buy yourself the whole loin and cut your own.  :D
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"