Main Menu

H Pipe Restoration

Started by floorit426, August 12, 2018, 08:36:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

floorit426

Hi,

I'm going to re install the stock exhaust system, on my 'Cuda. I fished the old OEM H pipe, out of the garage rafters, yesterday, and it has some surface rust and scale, but is in overall good shape. Would some kind of media blasting be the best way to get rid of this? Also, once cleaned up, what is the best way to keep the natural finish, from deteriorating. I only have the H pipe, so I will need new mufflers, resonators, over the axle pipes, and hardware. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can source that stuff?

Thanks

Topcat

ECS sells the most accuurate, correct detailed exhaust products.

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/exhaust.php

Accurate exhaust is a very nice product at reasonable prices.

http://www.accurateltd.com/

floorit426

Thanks. Those look like two very good options. ECS looks like their RPM product would preserve the finish, as well.

Topcat

The new pipes, either brand have an aluminized coating on it.

It will dis color some over time but does well from rusting.

RUNCHARGER

Not sure I'd media blast it depending on what condition it is in. If it isn't bad it could be touched up with barbecue paint here and there, if it's a bit tougher then maybe a blasting and recoating in ceramic unless you're going OEM resto.
Sheldon

anlauto

If it's a solid piece you should have it chemically striped  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Topcat

Bill,

Are you planning to re furbish the entire exhaust system then?

I know a place in Santa Clara that does ceramic coating for the exhaust manifolds if you're going that far into it.
They did mine and they came out great.

Spray Technology
701 Comstock St, Santa Clara, CA 95054
(408) 727-0680

floorit426

Are there places that do this? The piece is too big to try evaporust, I would think.

floorit426

Quote from: Topcat on August 12, 2018, 11:01:53 AM
Bill,

Are you planning to re furbish the entire exhaust system then?

I know a place in Santa Clara that does ceramic coating for the exhaust manifolds if you're going that far into it.
They did mine and they came out great.

Spray Technology
701 Comstock St, Santa Clara, CA 95054
(408) 727-0680

Thanks, Mike. At this point, I am not sure. One thing leads to another, and before you know it, the engine is out and you're going full boogie. Stock exhaust, means the big cam should come out, followed by the convertor, and on and on. At that point, the manual valve body might as well get switched out. Add to that the fact that my engine bay could use a reshoot, too.

I guess I just answered my own question. :looney:

1 Wild R/T

:stop: :stop: :stop: Run Away!!!  :lurking:  Run Far Far Away!!!!!!   :rofl: