Main Menu

Help ID parts

Started by mauls, May 25, 2020, 11:24:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mauls

Sorry for the newbie question here, but i'm tearing down a 70 challenger to get media blasted and floors replaced ,and was curious what these parts were.

First pic is some sort of air vent, but it wasn't attached to the larger vent piece.  It has it's own cable labeled VENT, so is that separate from the heat/ac vent duct system?

2nd, pic is some sort of push button, was this some sort of manual choke with the factory system?

Thanks!

cuda hunter

yes, it connects to the under side of the dash above your left foot when driving.  It's a fresh air vent. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

& the second is a foot pump for your windshield washers

mauls

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 25, 2020, 11:45:54 AM
& the second is a foot pump for your windshield washers

Ahh I always thought they were electric

Thanks for the replies

6bblgt

with 2-speed windshield wipers - foot pump
with 3-speed windshield wipers - electric

mauls

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 25, 2020, 12:04:19 PM
with 2-speed windshield wipers - foot pump
with 3-speed windshield wipers - electric

Looks like i'll be upgrading to the 3 pump then and ditching that switch  :)  I had no idea, thanks again

mauls

Do people delete these free air boxes?  I don't imagine it's something i'm going to keep if that's all it does.  Wonder if I need to insert some sort of block off plate within the mounting surface under the dash

anlauto

Yes you can block off the large hole, if you don't you would have a steady breeze coming through..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

Don't delete it unless you like to sweat in the summer driving with no a/c

cuda hunter

:iagree:

that fresh air vent is very nice when driving in the summer. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

mauls

Thanks for the feedback everyone, reason for me wanting to delete it was because I pulled it and had a huge mouse nest full of feces and didn't want that blowing in my face haha  :barf:

Anyone know if they make replacement parts for this. The housing is fine, but the close off valve is what's covered and ruined.

MoparLeo

The items on your car are from a base model option list. There are no vent windows for fresh air ventilation so non a/c cars had to have an outside air source. The complete vent assemblies have a cable to block them off from the outside. Rain, smoke etc... Was your car assembled before you started this ? Already looks like floors are in your future. A Factory Service Manual will be very valuable to you.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

mauls

Yes it was a base model slant 6 car. I'm im the process of gutting the interior to remove surface rust and replace the floors. I have a manual but didn't know what the parts even were to begin searching for them.  I also had a AC duct mounted under the dash when I tore it out, so that's why I was confused on the manual free air vents