Main Menu

Here's one for the books

Started by 70/6chall, June 09, 2017, 11:22:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70/6chall

For the longest time, I've always wondered why my 2 front fenders are factory different. Not to say they're not Challenger fenders. Outwardly on my,'70 Dodge Challenger, one fender(I believe my drivers side) has always had factory holes drilled for a hood pin and the hole for the lanyard screw.of course when I fitted up my power bulge hood, and added factory hood pins several years later, well, after drilling the opposite side to match the drivers side for the hood pins nothing looked out of place. And all was lost to history. Just was inquisitive about a fender on one side drilled for a hood pin, on a basic 6-cylinder car. What say you Mopar comrades?     Thanks,   Al

Cuda Cody

Hard to say for sure, but since your car was super early I'm guessing there was some quick running changes to add the hole to the stamping... and instead of scrapping the fenders stamped without of the hole they simple used them on cars without hood pins.  So maybe they made more passenger fenders without the hole before they made the change?   :notsure:

anlauto

Have you owned the car since new ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70/6chall

Not since new, Alan, but since Mar. 1973, w/ 40K on the clock. What bits I do know is that it was built in LA, Monday, Aug. 18, '69 first day of production(tentatively), SPD. #113 sometime ,maybe, early part of the day. From there to a dealership??? In Cal. Ended up as a trade-in to Moss Motors Dodge, Riverside ca. Can't get any early history from Moss(to old). No info from Chrysler Historical, I tried, no info on passenger cars after 1967, due to lost records. The car first sold to a customer April, 22,1970 (cal. Registration). The fact that E-bodies were built on LA's single line along with other dodge/Plymouth cars, I don't know what number my E-body came down the line. #113 is all cars coming down the line not just E-bodies. Maybe Cody's onto something, quick hasty modifications on the line (waste not want not). They at least could've given the car one hood pin, on one side of the flat hood, haha.    Thanks,   Al

anlauto

So you don't know for sure if the fender was replaced at one time ? A lot can happen in three years. My truck is three months old and has a new hood already. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70/6chall

Absolutely correct, I really have no idea what history it has before me.   Thanks,   Al