Main Menu

Anyone with M28 Wide Chrome Trim on Challenger

Started by MONC, September 19, 2021, 05:41:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MONC

Calling all cars originally with M28 wide chrome front trim on 71 Challenger.
I'd like to know what is under the wide trim, just the painted end of fender, or is the standard trim installed underneath?
Or something else?

YYZ

The fender pieces fit over the headlight bezels.  There are 3 special clips/anchors for each.

The hood piece replaces the standard aluminum one.  It mounts with a combination of studs that go through the top skin of the hood, and short bolts that use the normal moulding mounting holes.

The bolts are a fine thread (maybe 8-32?) and have a recessed head with 3 raised dots on them.  The studs are held in place with the same type of stamped steel 'cutter' nut that holds the dashpad in.

Chrysler went so far as to create separate part numbers for the fender stripes -- making them slightly shorter for the part that's hidden under the M28 moulding.

MONC

Thanks for the detailed info YYZ.
Do have any Tech Bulletins or other such docs or pictures you can provide?
Would like to compare what is on my car.

Thanks

YYZ

Here's an old thread on Moparts with some pics of the clips and fasteners.

I don't have any factory diagrams or other documentation for the M28 installation, other than recalling that about 10% of all 1971 Challengers were equipped with it.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1729641/all/m28-code-for-1971-e-bodies.html

MONC