Main Menu

Identifying Brackets and Steering Column Question

Started by Blowout, March 13, 2022, 11:09:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Blowout

Hi Guys,

Was hoping you guys could help me in identifying what these two brackets are used for.  My guess is maybe for steering column shift?  It's in my 1970 Challenger.

Last question, shouldnt the column have the lever that releases the keys??

Thanks for your help!

anlauto

The first picture is for cruise control cable.
Second picture is the column lock out lever.  ALL 1970 E Body columns had this lever. With the correct linkage in place (which you're missing) the car would have to be in park to remove the key.
Third picture., only in 1971-74 did the columns have a lever to depress to remove the key.

By luck, your lever from the second picture is in the correct location to remove the key at all times...reach in and move the lever while the key is in the on or run position and you will not be able to return the switch and remove the key.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Blowout

@anlauto thank you for all that information. Someone prior installed a race style floor shifter which I plan to put back original. My first Mopar project, so trying to get familiar with everything.

Throwing this out there, but guessing no, does that lockout lever have anything to do with me being able to turn the steering wheel even with out the key? Guessing this is happening because of the lockout plate in the column itself?

Thanks again.

RJChallenger

@Blowout  You are correct the lockout tube has nothing to do with you being able to turn the steering wheel without a key . You may be missing the locking plate or the little lever, mechanism the engages the locking wheel

Claudia

I concur with the above mentions . . . if you can freely turn the steering wheel without the key then you most likely have an issue with the locking plate or locking lever setup in the column.

Blowout

Thank you.  Time to see what's going on in that column. Might be looking for those pieces in the future.....

anlauto

Try turning the third collar down on the column, the one closest to the dash. Turn it to the left and right to see if you can get the steering to lock...the lock lever posted above might be gummed up...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Blowout