Main Menu

Ignition system

Started by Eddie, March 06, 2023, 12:36:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Eddie

Got this 73 barracuda with a 318  that I picked up not to long ago , not running been trying to start it but won't start, looks like someone switched it from electronic ignition to points system.
Was wondering where is the best place to get an ignition kit for it,something that's not Chinese crap distributor ecu and coil wires etc.if you can post a link that would be perfect. Let me know thanks

chargerdon

Stock type

summit sales Part Number SUM-851013 for $170.   These are very complicated, new distributor with vacuum advance, 4 pin ECU, new two position Ballast resistor, and new cable.   Does not include a coil, but, a normal coil should work.

Amazon sells a similar one for $168 and free shipping, and also a less expensive Proform brand with the same parts for $126. 

Of course, a lot of guys put in a MSD Multi-spark system but with the box, and distributor your looking at $500 or more, and there are lots of horror stories about failed MSD boxes.    The beauty of a Mopar style electronic ignition system is that they Work and are inexpensive.   There is very very little to go wrong with the distributor itself and the ICU and standard coils can be bought at any local auto parts store.   Myself, i carry a spare coil and ICU in my trunk whenever i travel any distance, but, have yet to have any problems.   The Chrysler style boxes are good to about 6,000 rpm, but, i doubt that you will ever run a 318 beyond that.