Main Menu

I’m tired of shifting gears TOSG

Started by Cudakiller70, August 10, 2018, 05:36:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

I can't believe it, been doing some cruzing lately and it's wearing me out especially traffic, stop go stop go. I think i think I may want an automatic trans. Just an easy click. Could still chirp the tires with just a click. Now I know I'm getting old, cars exhaust is too loud, musics is still too loud only because I can't hear. Trying to think this out.

RUNCHARGER

I'm done with automatics. An automatic is okay in a daily but not for my fun cars.
Sheldon

71-440

My first auto was my olds w-31 back in the late 70's. Everyone has their preference. Mine is an auto.

I was telling Neil when I talked to him My '09 Challenger I never put it in drive the whole time
I owned the car. The Slap Stick was awesome.

I'm still getting the feel of my '71. Havn't left it in D yet. Definitely needs a shift kit though.
Joe

71vert340

I enjoy driving my 71 Challenger convertible 4 speed once in a while. For my everyday driver and on long trips, I love my 2015 Challenger with the 8 speed auto that I can shift manually if I want. I've had my 71 since 1972 and have gotten enough shifting in over the years.
Terry

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on August 10, 2018, 05:36:20 PM
I can't believe it, been doing some cruzing lately and it's wearing me out especially traffic, stop go stop go. I think i think I may want an automatic trans. Just an easy click. Could still chirp the tires with just a click. Now I know I'm getting old, cars exhaust is too loud, musics is still too loud only because I can't hear. Trying to think this out.

Got a hydraulic clutch on it?
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cudakiller70

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on August 10, 2018, 07:27:59 PM

No stock mech.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on August 10, 2018, 07:58:04 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on August 10, 2018, 07:27:59 PM

No stock mech.

You may find an actuation upgrade may help make your driving experience more pleasant, it's not as drastic as a needing a different car.   :stayinlane:
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

halftrackman

I am doing a resto on my 70 challenger, I  wish now that I would  have went back with an auto, tran. but got all the drive train back in. I got the hemi 4 speed with 11in clutch fly wheel and cast iron bell housing,  this is not correct, but had all new 11 in stock. My first new 68 road runner had 4 speed, almost wipe out my left leg shiften gears  :burnout: but the next new RR was auto.How can you drink boone farm wine shiften gears all time. :cheers:

BIGSHCLUNK

Bad sciatica left leg..... screwed up right hand.... used to really enjoy my 5+2 rollbacks and wreckers......... 

Bullitt-

I'm kinda with you... The '13 Challenger 6-speed is laborsome, I don't drive it in town partly due to the constant need to shift whereas my '98 GT 5-speed doesn't seem to require this.  Feels alright to leave it in 3rd or 4th for much longer periods, I'm thinking because it's torque doesn't go as high.  Almost decided to trade the '13 earlier this year for an auto.
Still this doesn't keep me from dreaming of converting my '73 340 auto to a manual some day. .........   :burnout:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

Driving a manual is so much more involved , Love it, Auto is boring  :burnout:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 10, 2018, 10:05:24 PM
Driving a manual is so much more involved , Love it, Auto is boring  :burnout:

Agreed, my daily is a 6spd WRX and the Cuda is also a 6spd. I need to get my rowing in while I'm still a young buck.

The Cuda is pretty easy as I can skip shift it like a 4spd if I want to. The WRX doesn't quite have the low end grunt, but I bet it'd win in a drag race [emoji45]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

bentpshrods

I drive a concrete truck-9spd. Average about 150 miles around town daily.  That's a lot of shifting. So when I get in the cuda and cruise the AT is kinda nice. I have a Transgo full manual shift kit in it with a BM ratchet shift, so I can play with it like it's a 4 sp.

RUNCHARGER

Ha: Yes I drive a Kenworth T600 with a 13 speed and it's a joy to drive, the other truck I drive is a 1991 International cabover and it is the opposite of the Kenworth, just a PITA and hitting the gears with that worn out cabover shifter is a challenge. I still prefer that to an automatic. The Viper is effortless although I have to be conscious of taking it high enough in first to avoid the 1-4 annoyance.
A lot of A-833 cars have worn out clutch linkage and improperly adjusted shift linkage and a dry shifter box. When they are maintained properly they shift pretty nice as well.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 11, 2018, 07:36:53 AM

The Viper is effortless although I have to be conscious of taking it high enough in first to avoid the 1-4 annoyance.

I assume you know the fix is easy & cheap? 

https://www.amazon.com/Muzzys-CAGS-Shift-Eliminator-1992-2018/dp/B01AO328FW