Main Menu

Information please on a Hurst pistol grip handle I have

Started by 70/6chall, March 20, 2021, 09:03:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70/6chall

Ok, enthusiasts a little help and any information you can enlighten me with on this Hurst pistol grip handle, only, I've had a long time. I've done some googling on my own and really haven't come up with anything I can use. I've had it in a drawer in my garage since the 80's or early 90's I believe. I always thought that they were made of chrome plated steel and had of course the plastic wood grained handles. This one is almost one pound of cast aluminum and polished. It has the plastic grips but are black with a wood graining, secured with 3 chrome countersunk screws. It screws on to the top of a threaded shifter rod. It also has a factory looking 4-speed shifter pattern decal on top.  I could be wrong here it may be after market, but have had this a very long time. Originally I thought I could adapt it to an automatic shifter rod but, ended up using a B&M QuickSilver ratchet style shifter. Any help here please. Thanks,   Al

70/6chall

Thanks Dan, yes I'll post up some pics. Thanks,   Al

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

HP2

Probably homemade. Reason I think this is because, way back in the '70s, when i was in junior high and they had shop classes. My  JHS had a metals shop that had a small foundry operation where we made molds with sand and poured molten aluminum into them. On the wall were several dozen forms for us to choose from. The easiest models tended to be somewhat flat, like a bias relief license plate, a maltese cross, or... a shift lever. I recall we had several different styles of them. Can't definitively say they were pistol grips, I was only 12 at the time, but I do recall asking what they were.

70/6chall

Got some pics taken of the shifter handle for you to take a look at. I did weigh it out at 14.5 oz. and it is of a one piece cast aluminum. Some of you thought maybe home made or made in a small school foundry. Plastic grips are a grained black plastic that were not originally in a brown wood tone. It does not have separate upper and lower bezel but all one piece. Does have 3 chrome chamfered screws. Let's see if the pics can produce an origin with your help. I've had this for a very long time possibly 30-35 years. Picked up at a Mopar swap for a couple of bucks. I'm going to put up a regular diagram of of parts for the usual pistol grip we all know and love. Thanks enthusiasts,   Al

70/6chall

70/6chall

HP2

Threaded bottom so you can screw it on a traditional Hurst handle and convert any shifter to a pistol grip.  My memory isn't the greatest, but I don't recall seeing any advertisements for something like this in all my 70s vintage car magazines. Given trademark laws, I'd have thought Chrysler would have protected this fairly vigorously and would not have allowed anyone to sell a copy.

It may not be home made as the quality is pretty high, but it was probably a limited run someone made with a small batch contractor or that had access to foundry and molding equipment.

anlauto

The only thing that has me stumped is the plastic handles, have you tried scrapping at the inside to see if they are actual molded in black plastic or brown plastic painted black?  I think the rest could have easily been homemade in my opinion :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70/6chall

Thanks guys for all your help and thoughts on this shifter handle. I just got through calling a guy called the "Shifter Doc" he's as stumped as we are he really couldn't give me anything to go on. No mention of copyright infringement on a trademarked part like this. I'm planning on calling Hurst and asking them what their thoughts are. Your right on the fact, it just doesn't look homemade, to professional looking for novice work. Yes, I did scratch the inside of one of the grips, and it's either black or a dark brown all the way through so not painted. This is a solid piece in your hand at 14.5 oz. it would make a solid throw rowing gears. I can't use it so I'll see what the market carries on this rather odd and unusual piece. Again thanks guys,    Al

1972V21Cuda

Def looks like something made in a small machine shop...

mouse action

HP2

Looking at the casting and drilling inside the grips, it absolutely looks homemade to me. Sand casting foundry work can be easily done in a garage using a map gas torch.  Same can be done with plastic.

Youtube sand casting and see for yourself.