Main Menu

70 barracuda/cuda black grill

Started by cuda hunter, July 19, 2020, 02:11:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

What was the black grill for AAR's and some M46's painted with? 
Was it just a black flat paint?  Gloss paint?  Organisol paint?
Or were they not supposed to be painted and just be the black plastic?

One of my M46's came with a black grill.  In very very poor shape. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Fastmark

I matched mine and got it pretty close. It was painted and had a little bit of metal flake in the black. Yes, I know that sounds wrong but you could see it on the backside clearly. Ask this question on Moparts and mike will answer. He don't come here no more. 😉

1 Wild R/T

The Black AAR grill isn't painted... It is molded in black plastic...

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
Most were molded in grey plastic the AAR grilles were molded in black 

Jim AAR

:iagree: as well, mine is original and molded black plastic and it is smooth with no texture so no Organisol, it has however been painted flat black once or twice throughout the years though to cover scratches and such.

Jim AAR

The same can be said for the Front Valance Insert on the AAR, my original one was solid black plastic and the OEM one i bought from Chyrsler in the 80's is grey, you couldn't get the Black Plastic one back then.

cuda hunter

I have never seen the valance in black.  New one to me.

Does anyone have a time line as to when the black grills were first produced? 

My M46 that was born 915 had a center black grill that came with it. Totally junked, not savable. 

would like to have an idea if that was something that came on the M46's originally.  No mention of that in the documents of the cars but with everything blacked out it would make sense that the grill would be the black plastic grill. 
My other M46 born 910 has an argent grill.  And the grill is so sagged it also is not savable. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

My ew1 M46 was built 4/70 and has a grey grill and grey valance. 

1 Wild R/T

915 is way to early to have come with a black grill...   AAR's were scheduled for 313 or 401, your EW1 car maybe but not 915..

Fastmark

I bought my car in 76 in original condition. The grill had never been out. It was molded in black plastic AND painted a very light black with very fine metal flake. It's so light you can hardly see it. It shows up best if you look at the back sides of the headlight bezels. I have three grills produced by B,E and A. They are done the same way. Mike was a detail man and the grills are as perfect as you can get. If the grills were just cast in black and not painted, they would still have the gloss of the plastic as it came out of the mold. It is not organisol. That is much thicker paint. Ask on the Moparts board and Mike will answer.

cuda hunter

Mike did answer over on Moparts and he confirmed that the black grill is indeed painted with a black paint with a little bit of flake in it.    Apparently this is black argent. 

Thanks for the recommendation to ask over there.  I don't frequent there often.