Main Menu

Key Stuck in Ignition - 70 Cuda AAR - Help

Started by FIAARMN, April 18, 2020, 09:57:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FIAARMN

All, trying to get this Cuda on a transport.... but, Any suggestions on how to get the key out of the ignition? Not sure if it is in upside down or not..... was in the ignition when we got here?

I'll try to search the forums, but the car needs to get on a transport Tuesday and I would like to get the key out.
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

Cuda Cody

Is the lock out tube hooked up to the trans?  If not, it may have moved and just needs to be spun back and the key will release.

Cuda Cody

1 Wild R/T

If the key is stuck in but it turns then Cody has nailed it... If it is upside down it won't turn & it will sit at an angle.... If thats the case the key in buzzer tab grabs the key & causes it to not release.... Use a straightened paper clip with the very end maybe 1/8" bent 90 degrees to reach it beside the key to release the lock tab....   Someone posted pictures of exactly how it's done... I quick searched but couldn't find them...

Okay, I was close, just straighten the paper clip & the tab is at the bottom so use the clip to push the tab down.... Normally it rides on the smooth back side of the key so when the teeth are on the bottom it grabs the teeth...

FIAARMN

Much thanks to the both of you, first thing in the morning we will give it a try.... I will report back
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

Chryco Psycho

On the 70 column there is a link to the trans that will not let the key out unless it is in Park [auto] or Reverse [4spd]
If the link is not there you need to rotate the lower collar on the column to release the key try this First , If the key is in upside down you can try to paper clip trick

FIAARMN

Thanks for the info. I'll update after they get back to the property and continue to prepare the car for transport.

I think, if I recall, the ignition turns with the key stuck in it, so I don't think it is upside down.... I will confirm.

RUNCHARGER

If the ignition turns but the key does not come out, the collar on the column can be turned by hand as CP stated, then the key can be pulled out.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

But honestly if the key turns but can't be removed I'd leave it as is, that way the key can't get lost... Deal with it when you have the car.....

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

FIAARMN

Thanks all, put in reverse and key is out, thanks for the lesson,,,, learning these cars as we go,,,newbie style ......

Appreciate the understanding of all of you

Chryco Psycho

Cool so the factory linkage is still there , with a 4 spd it has to be in reverse as you now know  :bigthumb:

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: Having that linkage intact is a good sign this car is going to be complete.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

:iagree: , that linkage was often missing either from being a pain or adding headers , the car must be relatively original still  :bigthumb:

JS29