Main Menu

Leaving california, moving to canadian border....storage questions

Started by nsmall, April 07, 2021, 12:04:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 07, 2021, 12:24:14 PM
You're actually going to be relatively close to me. I used to start my car about once a month on a warm day, I now think that has too much chance of introducing more condensation everywhere so I leave it until spring startup. I change oil in the spring. I leave my battery on a battery tender all winter, however my car is at home in the garage so I can watch that the charger doesn't catch fire, short out etc. Fuel stabilizer works I suppose but I've never used it, I fill it up with ethanol free gas when I park it. The weather in this area is pretty mild compared to what I come from.
BTW, Washington is becoming a California wannabe, I would almost consider Montana or somewhere east of Washington, I'm sure there are other factors involved in the move though.

yeah I have family in the area and where we want to move to is an outdoor recreation paradise.  My main issue is I am teacher and what LA County is doing to teachers and our students is not working for me or my family.  At least where we are moving for now is not into the, okay no politics, I'm out.

nsmall

Thanks a lot everyone.  I am brainwashed to think you have to start or drive your car once a week to keep the seals and gaskets wet, but you guys are showing me otherwise.  Thanks for the confidence booster to help me realize its no big deal to shut the car off for 5 months and thanks for all of your tips. 

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: I parked mine first part of November and started it today actually, I just got in from changing oil and checking everything over. In that area I bet you can occassionaly drive until the end of November and start up again the first of March some years. There's also alot of great project cars in that area still.
Sheldon

dodj

Fuel stabilizer,   keep battery charged, over inflate tires 10%.  Don't start until spring because of condensation issues.
Car cover for dust.
:alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

nsmall

Thanks again everyone.  Really love this site as you freely share information with strangers and are always willing to pitch in for the good of others.

Matt13

Quote from: nsmall on April 07, 2021, 07:21:23 PM
Thanks again everyone.  Really love this site as you freely share information with strangers and are always willing to pitch in for the good of others.
Take me with..please!

7212Mopar

What is the annual heating cost in Washington? I find it as I get older, my tolerance for cold diminishes.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

I doubt you are chained there Matt you have the freedom to make a decision & leave also !
AS I have Often said "People refuse to give up what they have to get what they really want or need "
I left everything in Canada & moved to Panama , it is the best thing I have done in my life , my quality of life  is merely 1000X better here !! Cost of living is roughly 10-20% of living in Canada , I don't work 100 hrs / week here & still come up short for the bills & 365 days of summer !!

ec_co

Quote from: nsmall on April 07, 2021, 02:44:03 PM
I am brainwashed to think you have to start or drive your car once a week to keep the seals and gaskets wet, but you guys are showing me otherwise. 

many moons ago we had a valiant/slant6 on the farm and after sitting for @ 10+ years it still fired up fine with no leaks. wear and tear on an engine is increased when you just cold start it and let it run without putting a load on it, especially in the winter when the oil is thicker. it's better to let it sit through winter and take it for a solid drive in the spring, than to cold start it in your garage a couple times just idling. plenty of research on this topic out there.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

challengermaniac

Great that you got the car covered for the cooler climate.  Just a mention of what cold weather tends to do for some, especially as we age.  How about fingers and toes turning white in the cold as well as consideration for any family members whom may suffer from the reduced light and warmth along with much less opportunities in general to work and drive your classic due to the elements.  I'm fortunate to live in a fairly mild climate with no plans of going colder.  I have always tried to maintain a happy outlook on life and positively work with that which is within my control and avoid the reality of outside activity that is not.  Best of success in your life.
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

Matt13

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 07, 2021, 08:12:39 PM
I doubt you are chained there Matt you have the freedom to make a decision & leave also !
AS I have Often said "People refuse to give up what they have to get what they really want or need "
I left everything in Canada & moved to Panama , it is the best thing I have done in my life , my quality of life  is merely 1000X better here !! Cost of living is roughly 10-20% of living in Canada , I don't work 100 hrs / week here & still come up short for the bills & 365 days of summer !!
My wife's job relocated us here from my hometown in Illinois 7yrs ago. I still haven't adjusted! We've got at least another 11-12yrs here before we can retire...

JS29

Here in the wilderness of central NY, rodent's are your cars worst anime. Mouse traps are a must have around your car. :alan2cents:

FSHTAIL

Changing the oil and filter just to let it sit around for 5 months seems like a waste of time, run the car for the season, fresh fuel (non oxy) and maybe jack it up so the tires don't flat spot..   Battery maintainer.       Good to go..   

If you just have the car sit around after you change the oil, there's still moisture getting in there, why not freshen it up at the beginning of the season?
I pop some sea foam in the engine just before I change the oil, let it warm up and circulate a little, drain, fill, new filter...   motor on...   
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

70Barracuda

It's not wet there like on this side, you will have plenty of opportunity to drive your car in the winter.
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

ledphoot

Last spring I purchased a 2005 C6 Corvette with <7000 miles on it, the car sat outside for ten years without so much as a startup. I installed a new battery, changed all the fluids, installed new tires and detailed it inside and out. The car has been good to go, now showing 12000 miles on the odometer and not one problem.

Keep it inside, on a battery tender and take the weight off the tires you should be good to go.

As for leaving Kalifornia, I totally understand that, we purchased a house in Bozeman Montana, sold our house in the Santa Cruz Mountains and may sell the house in Escalon as well at some point. I will stay here so long as I am making good money or until the reality of Kalifornia living becomes too unbearable, at least now I have a foothold in another state to escape to.