Main Menu

Need help on install of dash air vents

Started by dusttracker, June 28, 2017, 06:19:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dusttracker

Not sure how the vents are secured in the housing. I know the pin goes through the outside but how does the middle connect? Also there seems to be two pins that hold a bracket in the middle and one is broke off anyway to fix that?

Cuda Cody

AC vents are something I don't have a lot of experience with.  @anlauto  has probable done more AC cars then anyone I know.  Maybe he knows?   :fingerscrossed:

And Welcome to the site @dusttracker    :welcome:

anlauto

Yea they have these funny little pins and clips...I would have to see if I have one around here...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dusttracker

EV2RTSE

Yup there should be a pin that goes in the center that gets held in place by that small bracket you have shown with the two small wire brads (or whatever they're called). You could probably just cut down a small finishing nail to fit and it would work well enough if you can't locate an original pin.

When one of the brads that secure the small bracket are broken off, and you can't grab it with a pliers to pull it out I've just reused the one good brad and a little bit of ABS cement on the whole thing to hold everything together instead.

On the outsides there are also tensioning clips (one used per vent) so that the vents don't flop up and down loosely.

Unfortunately it looks like I have spares of everything except the center pin you're looking for, but if any of this other stuff can be of use to you just PM me your address and I'll send to you no charge.

Below are the outer pins, tensioning clips, and center bracket hardware less the pin you need.

EV2RTSE

Most of the tensioning clips I have left aren't in the best of shape, but in a pinch you can fab some out of a soda can.

dusttracker

So, the pin that your saying I can make for the center is long enough to go through both vents and fits through that center clip? Also, Thank you very much for offering the parts but when I purchased all three vents I needed off e-bay and they came with the pins and tension pads.just trying to figure out that middle bugger..Again thank you for the help..

EV2RTSE

It's only about an inch long. So once its installed in the bracket it becomes a fixed post. You then drop a vent into the housing at an angle, seat the matching hole in the vent onto the center pin side first and then level out the outer side and install the tensioner and rivet pin to hold it all in place. 

Here's a link where a guy that fixed up his Charger dash vents, there are a couple of pics that show how everything goes back together.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=86578.0