Main Menu

Making a VIN tag...

Started by anlauto, March 21, 2022, 05:28:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I searched and can't find the info, but someone had posted about a company overseas making reproduction VIN dash tags other than AG Backeast....Anybody have that info...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JH27N0B

I'm surprised that would be legal.

1971Y13

Quote from: JH27N0B on March 22, 2022, 07:24:22 AM
They make them in Netherland.
1971 'Cuda
1968 GTX

anlauto

I imagine you need some sort of proof of ownership... :yes:

I had a lady call me yesterday, her husband died and their Cuda doesn't have the VIN on the dash, and she can't find it anywhere  :dunno: so she wants to get one made :soshelp: so I was just passing along the info   :ebay:

Mr Cuda

Quote from: anlauto on March 21, 2022, 05:28:44 PM
I searched and can't find the info, but someone had posted about a company overseas making reproduction VIN dash tags other than AG Backeast....Anybody have that info...
If it was just recently,  it was me. I had one made, and yes proof of ownership is required.
I appreciate that he makes them with the correct font, spacing,  logo, etc.
Not like some tags I've seen that look like a metal version of a label maker.
Nothing like buying a Cuda and the former owner swapped dashpads, then threw the old one out with tag.  Too much work to save, I guess.

Filthy Filbert

All depends on your intent and purpose. 

Trying to make a 318 car into a hemi car?  Yea, illegal AF. 

Restoring a car you own, with correct information that's true to the car?   No problem.  Yes I am aware the federal law states 'no altering or tampering' and it can appear to be a gray area as to whether making a new tag that's identical to the original qualifies as 'altering or tampering' but to that I say find me a federal prosecutor who's willing to send a case to court because a guy is honestly just restoring a car and not altering any information in an attempt to deceive.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on March 22, 2022, 10:58:15 AM

All depends on your intent and purpose. 

Trying to make a 318 car into a hemi car?  Yea, illegal AF. 

Restoring a car you own, with correct information that's true to the car?   No problem.  Yes I am aware the federal law states 'no altering or tampering' and it can appear to be a gray area as to whether making a new tag that's identical to the original qualifies as 'altering or tampering' but to that I say find me a federal prosecutor who's willing to send a case to court because a guy is honestly just restoring a car and not altering any information in an attempt to deceive.

@Filthy Filbert I agree exactly.
My "grey area" is the person who makes a tag that is altered to match the added items. Honest add for the owner that is keeping said car. He could even sell car legitimately as a clone/tribute for correct $$$ based on its worth as an enhanced base model.
Problem lies where the 2nd or 3rd seller then omits the clone information.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

YYZ

There's a recent case in Canada in which the court ordered a car dealer to refund the entire purchase price of a faked ZL1 COPO Camaro, and awarded another 6 figures to the purchaser (Town and Country Chrysler in Smith's Falls) for lost profit as well as interest and storage costs.

Apparently the car was sold as a tribute at the Toronto collector auction about 10 years ago, and then magically became a 1 of 50 Gibb's ZL1 over the years.

Much like Mopars, ZL1s were not made in LA, but that didn't stop the faker from dollying out the body stampings and redoing them.

mccannix

That is a brutal 4 as well as a few other characters easily distinguishable from original.
Interesting COPO story YYZ....had not heard that....they are not far from me and have quite an inventory of muscle and exotic cars