Main Menu

Manual 3 speed production numbers?

Started by YellowThumper, June 01, 2021, 02:36:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

So we have a rolling FB post wondering what the production numbers were for the (unloved) 3spd stick.
Are there available numbers?

Thanks.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

anlauto

Sounds like a question for Dan @6bblgt , but all of Galen's white books break down production into Auto, 3spd, 4spd , so what year and model were you wondering about ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

here is what is shown in GG's "white books" - this accounts for ~90% of production
& there are a few unknown numbers and I question a few  :thinking: like ~1/3 of '70 340 'cudas are 3-speed manual ???????

~20,000 out of ~315,000 produced in 5 years (~7%)

6bblgt

another source "WARD's Automotive Yearbook" shows: (discrepancy in '73 & '74 totals VS. GG ???)

25,895 3-speed manual transmission E-bodies out of 298,322 TOTAL PRODUCTION (~8.7%)

chargerdon

My first NEW car was a 70 Challenger 225 slant six with 3 sp manual...on floor.   Had trouble with it from day one...it would hang up between 1st and 2nd...   Dealer worked on it twice and got it to "mostly work" but would still hang up occassionally.   

anlauto

@Cuda Cody Cody,   Dan @6bblgt has taken a great deal of time to produce these information charts, I noticed another one in a thread about wire wheel hub caps.... :worship:

Is there any way we can save these charts in our reference section area ? I think they are a fantastic source of information.  :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YellowThumper

This info is awsome!
Unfortunately no number on the 74 318 but still get a close idea.

Mike.

7E-Bodies

@anlauto Dan has bailed me out countless times, so I'd agree. It's almost like we need a section for all of his work to be saved. If it weren't for @6bblgt I would never have gotten through finding the right vinyl top for my car (amongst many other items he's helped me with).
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

If anyone comes up with a number for how many should still be on the road, subtract 1 from the 1971's...

318/3 speed manual

Young + Stupid = Catastrophe
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

MoparLeo

I believe that the 3 speed manual was the standard transmission that factory specified for all except the special package cars. Just that more people paid extra for the Torqueflite trans.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

6bblgt

to be correct: the 3-speed manual transmission was STANDARD across the board in an E-body 1970-1974

BH - Barracuda
BP - Gran Coupe
BS - 'cuda
JH - Challenger (including SE)
JS - Challenger R/T (including SE)

ordering a 383 2bbl (727 ONLY), 440HP, 440 6bbl, HEMI or "TRANS AM" package car (A53) required the additional purchase of an OPTIONAL automatic (727) or 4-speed manual (PP833) transmission

Huskidrive

My JS23NOB came with a 3 speed manual. It didn't last long. It kept jumping out of gear when decelerating and my friend had a 4 speed in his garage and so now it's a 4 speed. Never looked back......

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

Bpret

3spd is still in mine works good but first gear sounds like an old Jeep

YellowThumper

Quote from: Bpret on June 04, 2021, 06:10:32 PM
3spd is still in mine works good but first gear sounds like an old Jeep
Yea mine sounded that way too. This was in 84 when I swapped it to the 4spd.

Mike.

Bpret

Did you swap it out because of the noise? Did it improve the ride of the car. I have thought about swapping it but it's what makes it so unusual and it's all numbers matching.