Main Menu

Mecum and Steve Juliano

Started by js27, March 06, 2019, 08:46:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I'd been told that Juliano had made arrangements for his collection to stay together after he was gone.  But obviously this isn't the case. 
I'd heard his family didn't have any interest in his automotive passion.  He'd only been married to his current wife for a few years, and he has a daughter in FL who is a doctor or married to a doctor, or both are doctors, and are quite well off.  Not sure if he any other kids.
What surprises me is that he didn't have other collectors lined up to buy some of his gems after he was gone.  Many collectors consider themselves caretakers rather than owners of rare historical items.  And feel responsible for making sure they are well cared for and go to another qualified caretaker if they sell or pass away rather than just anybody.  I certainly expect Steve would gave felt this way.
We went through a similar situation with my dad when he passed in 2013.  He was a well known collector, researcher and wrote books and articles about products that I'm not sure if we are as locked down about here as Moparts where I'd get a vacation because it upsets some frothing at the mouth types.  But whatever the case, he had designated that a fellow collector he was close to and had collaborated on several books with had first choice to buy items from his collection after he died.  That person did buy a number of items. Around a concours '71 hemi cudas worth!
I've had some interest since i was young, but never as passionate like him. I am more interested in cars and aviation.  I ended up with some.  But they are locked up in a safe, I don't take them out to display and share, some I feel belong in museums, so am I a good caretaker?
I could sell them and probably have enough from the sale to buy a V code Challenger vert I aspire to. But would my dad approve if I did that if his spirit is watching?
The rest went to an auction house my dad trusted (Julia), and my mom is living comfortably in an expensive senior living place on the proceeds with no worries about money for the rest of her life, so all is good.
But again, my dads passion only carried over a bit to me and my sister is one of those frothing at the mouth types who despises them and wanted none. So it is a bit like Steve's situation.  If his family kept his cars and memorabilia but they just stayed locked up out of sight indefinitely would that do anybody any good or be best for the collection?

RUNCHARGER

This whole thing is a darn shame right from when the Mod Top went missing. It was great of Steve to gather them up, restore them and share them with us while he was here. I don't think anyone will appreciate them the way Steve cared for and appreciated them.
Sheldon

anlauto

I used the word "greed", I probably shouldn't have not knowing any of the facts....my bad...

...but I would think that other collectors would have likely made private offers to the family by now....so I'm surprised they are going to auction where it will maximise the sale price...meaning more money....who knows, maybe some of the money will go to charity  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

Maybe it's a case like I have. The oldest thought she should get the 71 convertible because she's the oldest. The second thought she should get it because she lives the closest ( across the street) to us. The third thought he should get it because he's the oldest boy. The last thought he should get it because he and I did a 71 Challenger hardtop as a father/son project and he has the experience to take care of it ( the hard top is his now but still at our house). They all have children now and wanted something for their kids. Anyway, the wife told them all if I die before her, that she is selling the car and splitting the money. A grandson has been helping me with the Charger and feels it should go to him. Another grandson wants the other Charger. Maybe something similar with Steve's family and this is the easiest way to do it. My wife has told the kids if they want the 71 convertible, they have to buy the others out of their share. Argument solved.
Terry

js27

I agree with JS27NOB. I would have thought that Steve would have made prior arrangements before passing. Especially with the Rapid Transit Cars. They should be kept together an sold as one unit. I would have done it that way if it was my collection. I am sure his entire collection is worth millions. Not many people have that kind of money laying around. I guess we will see come auction day. I am sure they will all sell and go to good homes. I know that Craig Jackson has quite the Mopar Collection and may scoop up one or two.
JS27

cuda hunter

On the bright side, this type of auction makes these items available for people like me who were not friends with the big money guy.   I can now go and purchase one of the items he has up for auction. 
  For some people this is a good thing.  I agree with keeping the rapid transit cars together.  but maybe I can afford to buy one of those rapid transit cars (probably not).  At least I have an opportunity at it. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

HP_Cuda

I still say there is love or passion for these types of autos or there is greed. Now breaking up the collection is probably not the greatest idea in the world but hey folks want theirs.

This kinda reminds me of the ending of Gran Torino where the granddaughter thinks she is getting the car.

Message here: you earn what you get, nothing is given...
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

303 Mopar

Quote from: 76orangewagon on March 06, 2019, 12:59:29 PM
Indy is the one Mecum auction I plan on attending this year.... maybe I can pick up a few pieces of Memorabilia.

It also the one auction I would sell some of my cars at, seems to always have some great Mopars that get decent prices.

HP_Cuda

You never see 1967 Original 427 A/C Cobras go up for sale either!!!

What a collection!

:wowzers:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

benlavigne

Seems a lot of the smaller automobilia items will be auctioned off online by Mecum before the actual auction for the cars. Maybe an opportunity to actually own a small piece of the collection...

https://www.facebook.com/MoparAction/videos/2202555063136002/?t=0

Ben

Topcat

Was this one of the RTS cars?

Yes or No, where is it? 

anlauto

Steven knew where the Sonic Cuda was but the owner wouldn't sell it to him I believe... :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

There was a 'cuda RTS car, and I believe that is it.
Steve tracked it down, I believe it was in Michigan.  The owner wouldn't let it go for any price.
The one Steve could never buy.
Someday it will probably surface to the public, after the owner passes away or something.
I just got home from Indy and I am overwhelmed!  I always wished I could get out to CA and see the collection.  I never got to.  But this was nearly as good, they had the collection displayed along with the cars, in a similar manner to how they were displayed in Steve's building.  Seeing this was a once in a lifetime.  I took a ton of pictures and hopefully will find time to download and organize them soon, I'll share links when I do.
The items in the online auction were mostly going for huge prices. Some ashtrays went for over $1500, which has to be a record for an ashtray!  An NOS space saver spare was $3750 last I checked.  Don't forget to add 23% buyers premium and 7% IN sales tax!
I bought a couple parts and a glass, at reasonable prices.  And picked up in person so I didn't have to pay shipping at least.

Topcat

Quote from: anlauto on May 16, 2019, 07:37:08 PM

Steven knew where the Sonic Cuda was but the owner wouldn't sell it to him I believe... :thinking:

:bigthumb:

Was there a RTS Sport Fury promo as well?

I never saw a picture of it like all the others.