Main Menu

Mecum Harrisburg

Started by Rdchallenger, July 30, 2019, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

autoxcuda

Quote from: Brads70 on August 03, 2019, 06:56:34 PM
I was kind of shocked at the prices some pretty famous race cars went for! Thought it would be much more?

Race cars are tough and finicky sales with smaller buying group. They are museum pieces rarely road worthy. And tough to document.

Nascar cars are almost always reskinned and modified over seasons and owners. Rarely serial numbers.

I know the long term restorer/owner of that 64 Landy car.

He had it for sale for a long time.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Brads70 on August 03, 2019, 06:56:34 PM
I was kind of shocked at the prices some pretty famous race cars went for! Thought it would be much more?

Agreed, I believe they were at the wrong location for that. Had they sold them at their Kissimmee auction I believe they would have went for a lot more considering it's proximity to Daytona compared to Harrisburg.

anlauto

I don't think location has much to do with it....if you have deep enough pockets to play with this level of toys...these were well advertised and if you wanted one I doubt the location of the auction would ever cross your mind.

These aren't sold to somebody who just stumbled into the auction and said "oh look Honey...a race car...I'm going to bid on it" ...

I'm not surprised they didn't bring a lot more money, because unless you have a museum, what the heck could you do with them ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on August 04, 2019, 06:48:43 AM
I don't think location has much to do with it....if you have deep enough pockets to play with this level of toys...these were well advertised and if you wanted one I doubt the location of the auction would ever cross your mind.

I think location does impact the numbers and attracts specific buyers. Kissimmee and Indy are two notable locations for Mecum that always seem to draw higher values of Mopars specifically. Superbirds and high dollar e-bodies in Denver do not come close to the prices at these other locations.

anlauto

For the general selection of cars, sure I agree...but I was referring to the main attractions, the race cars...These were advertised world wide...if there were big players wanting to buy them I don't think they would have cared where the location of the auction was. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

floorit426

Quote from: anlauto on August 04, 2019, 08:08:43 AM
For the general selection of cars, sure I agree...but I was referring to the main attractions, the race cars...These were advertised world wide...if there were big players wanting to buy them I don't think they would have cared where the location of the auction was. :alan2cents:
:iagree:

mopar thunder

Thanks for sharing! I miss going to events up there. Looks like some nice cars went thru the block.

6pack

I got lucky a friend called me right before the race cars went up for auction and told me they were on the NBCSN. That's a channel I don't usually watch and I caught it all.  Neat cars.  I think it costs like $35 per person just to spectate at the show.  I am 45 minutes away from there.

floorit426

I found it interesting that the Landy boycott Challenger, had an a/c dash. I wonder if the car was a "body in white", that they just emptied the parts bin on, or if it started life as a factory a/c car.

Rich G.

A lot of nice E Bodies but I thought the prices were all over the place. The 71 Cuda I thought was a little low and the T/A and 70 RT challenger both had a high bid of 60K which I thought was good for what they were. I don't know what the reserve was on the T/A but I talked to the owner of the R/T and he was looking for 100K . What could a Petty wing car be really worth if you turn down over 3 million? Sox and Martin Cuda was amazing!

autoxcuda

Quote from: Rich G. on August 05, 2019, 08:54:40 AM
A lot of nice E Bodies but I thought the prices were all over the place. The 71 Cuda I thought was a little low and the T/A and 70 RT challenger both had a high bid of 60K which I thought was good for what they were. I don't know what the reserve was on the T/A but I talked to the owner of the R/T and he was looking for 100K . What could a Petty wing car be really worth if you turn down over 3 million? Sox and Martin Cuda was amazing!

Prices all over the place cause quality and documentation is all over the place.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

340challconvert

I tracked some of the prices on this auction;
My favorite Challengers; are still in flux and did not immediately sell.

Lot S89.1
Hemi Challenger RT sublime / black w black bumble stripe & 4:10 dana
No sale yet at $95K

and Lot S216
Challenger RT 6pk automatic
No sale yet, Bid to $60k This is definitely worth more!

Lot S241
70 TA Challenger 4 sp
bid to $60K. No sale. Bid goes on!

Two of Landy's Drag cars I guess did alright?
1970 "Boycott" Challenger sold for $165K
and a 1971 Challenger for $187K

There was an interesting 72 Challenger restomod that did sell for $44K
I liked the 70 style grill that the person fabricated for the car. 
I would bet that a lot of 72-74 Challenger owners might consider this grill if it became commercially available JMO
https://www.mecum.com/lots/PA0819-380090/1972-dodge-challenger/

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

E74cuda

Quote from: Rich G. on August 05, 2019, 08:54:40 AM

The bid of 60k for the 70 R/T Challenger and T/A was probably in the ballpark based on the pictures.  There's still a lot of people that are in the clouds or financially burried when it comes to judging the value of the car they own