Main Menu

My 71 Challenger Convertiable is a little unusual.

Started by CudaHead, July 18, 2021, 01:14:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaHead

I have a 1971 Red Challenger Convertible survivor that has some things that make me think it never went down the assembly Line.
This car shows it is an (Y28 code - Chrysler Company Car/Public Relations) on the broadcast sheet.
I know it was Ordered 12/16/1971  and built 4/18/1971. It was used by someone or something at Chrysler until it was turned into a dealer in July 1971 and delivered to:
"Compton Motors Inc., 2043 White Horse Pike, Egg Harbor City, NJ"  609-965-1494 (No longer exists)
It was bought by a local who traded his Charger in for the car.
I have the history to that point, but I do not know what Chrysler did with car before that.

I had some problems with the rear quarter electric windows not working. I took it apart and cleaned the tracks, greased the tracks, and aligned one of the windows.
They work now.
During all of this I noticed some things that I have never seen.

First, I had problems getting to back lower seat loose. I noticed there were two sets for brackets welded for the seats.
Second, on the back top of the seat, I found only one bolt that was used. The other bracket had no receiver on the other side for the bolt. The one bolt was the correct one for that.
When reinstalling the Door Sills, I noticed there was no screw in the back end (on the door panel)  and no indication that there ever any there.

I also noticed that the finder tag still have the tear offs that were suppose to be removed at each stage of the build.
This is a high option car with a 318 engine, but it's the best running one I've ever seen.

Take a look at these pictures.

anlauto

The double seat hooks are common to every Challenger convertible because of the wheel base difference from the Cuda. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaHead

Thanks anlauto, that clears up one of them.

I wonder if it was just a Friday or may a different team, like maybe there was a strike going on.

cuda hunter

Sure don't see many inspection tags that are complete. 
Is that the entire tag? 
Any difference's on the fender tag?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

I see

FRAME

SOL -L
SOL -R

DOOR -L
DOOR -R

H+D -L
H+D -R

DR V inspectors stamp L

METAL

ripped section can't read

PAINT

What am I missing on the left and right? 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

CudaHead

This may show more details.

RzeroB

Those inspection tags are interesting. I can't remember seeing so many of them still intact on the car. Maybe your is missing some little things (bolt, nut-plate, screw) that you mentioned because it somehow slipped through without being inspected ... leaving the tags intact??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

another thread on this Challenger - @CudaHead what do you have that shows it was ordered in December?

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/total-1971-challengers/17944/

it was "SCHEDULED" on 4/18/71 - same day as one of the "MOD SQUAD" 340 Challenger convertibles

it is a well cared for survivor type car - the oddities are "typical" production line oversights - fender tag pic?  :rubeyes: