Main Menu

Unusual option Challenger convertible

Started by JH27N0B, July 23, 2021, 07:10:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

cuda hunter

beautiful car.     V5F   is a super cool option.    Gold interior on gf7 is a great combo as well. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

:rebelflag"
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

That looks cool, even though it's coded for bucket seats  :yes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Ok, that's what I thought that it was added.  I didn't know the codes off the top of my head.
I'm often reminded of a guy who talked to me at a cruise one time who said he special ordered a 70 FC7 Challenger convertible from Mr Norms with a front bench seat, so he could get close with his girlfriend while he drove in it.
He still bears a grudge as he lost his job not long after he put in the order and paid a $500 deposit, and tried to cancel, but Mr Norm wouldn't return his deposit as the car would be "hard to sell" when it arrived.
He has always wondered what happened to "his" car.
I wonder if they were able to order it that way, or were just going to swap seats with another car?
And why wasn't the bench seat option available on convertibles?
For that matter, why wasn't cloth offered?  I love my convertible but if I could change one thing, I'd have checked the cloth seat option... if it was available.

anlauto

this one looks right at home in there especially with the odd colour....could it be a factory screw up ? Seems like an odd upgrade for someone to do :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

autoxcuda

Quote from: anlauto on July 24, 2021, 05:16:40 AM
this one looks right at home in there especially with the odd colour....could it be a factory screw up ? Seems like an odd upgrade for someone to do :thinking:

Floor shift auto (correction) where not standard in 71 Challengers or Challenger R/T's.

Of course this is a regular 71 Challenger model since it's a convertible
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

YYZ

Theoretically, bucket seats were not available in E-body ragtops.

So it's either a factory error, or a prior owner may have thought that column shift meant bench seat only.

autoxcuda

Quote from: YYZ on July 24, 2021, 10:35:08 AM
Theoretically, bucket seats were not available in E-body ragtops.

So it's either a factory error, or a prior owner may have thought that column shift meant bench seat only.

My bad I was putting the console auto and bench seat as combined in my head. Which is wrong.

If you didn't order optional console auto, you got a column auto standard.

If you ordered bench, you couldn't order console auto.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

70vert

hmm, $35k seems cheap (good deal) for a convertible in that condition. I don't follow 71's closely but but a clean, driveable, with decent paint & interior should bring more than that.

RzeroB

Quote from: JH27N0B on July 23, 2021, 07:10:06 PM
I didn't think the front bench seat option was available on Challenger convertibles?

You are absolutely right Brad. Per the dealership interior color and trim guide, it clearly states that the H4-- bench seat interior was NOT available in convertibles. Now if you asked me "why" it wasn't available ... well then there you got me because I'm now wondering about why it wasn't available in a 'vert too??  :thinking:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

JH27N0B

The other thing that I wonder about with Challenger convertible interiors is why the cloth insert seats weren't available?  That is one option I'd love to have in mine rather than getting burned sitting down on a hot vinyl seat after the car has been parked in the sun with the top down!

Skdmark

Quote from: JH27N0B on July 26, 2021, 01:22:54 PM
The other thing that I wonder about with Challenger convertible interiors is why the cloth insert seats weren't available?  That is one option I'd love to have in mine rather than getting burned sitting down on a hot vinyl seat after the car has been parked in the sun with the top down!

I always found that one strange too.
Maybe they were concerned about water/rain. Vinyl seats won't absorb water the same way as cloth inserts.

IMO a 71 Cuda convertible in Torred with the H5XV seats would be gorgeous.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

Quote from: Skdmark on July 26, 2021, 05:04:28 PM
Quote from: JH27N0B on July 26, 2021, 01:22:54 PM

Mahbe they were concerned about water/rain. Vinyl seats won't absorb water the same way as cloth inserts.

I would think that thought process would be a logical reason  :brainiac:

7E-Bodies

@cuda hunter I have the V5F option on mine. Just got done restoring all 6 pieces.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green