Main Menu

My taillight mystery

Started by cnm2215, October 12, 2023, 10:40:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cnm2215

The taillights on my 73 Cuda are misbehaving and I could really use some help troubleshooting them.

Some Backstory:
I replaced fuse #4 (which was blown) with a new 20A fuse
I replaced taillight bulbs with new, brass #1157 bulbs
I replaced the passenger taillight socket (which was broken) with a Dorman socket 85860
I replaced the flasher (original part no longer worked) with a Novita EL12
Both taillight sockets appear to have a ground wire connected to them (see pic below)

Overall, the misbehaviors are:

• When the driver side taillight should be solid dim, it's off
  • When the passenger side taillight should be bright, it's dim
  • When the passenger side taillight should be dim, it's bright

For details, see chart below (green indicates correct behavior; red indicates bad behavior)

KEYS HEADLIGHTS BRAKES TURN SIGNAL DRIVER SIDE RESULT PASS. SIDE RESULT
OFF OFF PRESSED OFF SOLID BRIGHT RED SOLID DIM RED (should be solid bright)
OFF ON NOT PRESSED OFF NOTHING (should be solid dim) SOLID BRIGHT RED (should be solid dim)
OFF ON PRESSED OFF SOLID BRIGHT RED SOLID BRIGHT RED
ON OFF NOT PRESSED LEFT TS ON FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED NOTHING
ON OFF NOT PRESSED RIGHT TS ON NOTHING FLASHES OFF & DIM RED(should flash dim & bright)
ON OFF PRESSED OFF SOLID BRIGHT RED SOLID DIM RED (should be solid bright)
ON OFF PRESSED LEFT TS ON FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED SOLID DIM RED (should be solid bright)
ON OFF PRESSED RIGHT TS ON SOLID BRIGHT RED FLASHES OFF & DIM (should flash dim & bright)
ON ON NOT PRESSED OFF NOTHING (should be solid dim) BRIGHT RED (should be solid dim)
ON ON PRESSED OFF SOLID BRIGHT RED SOLID BRIGHT RED
ON ON NOT PRESSED LEFT TS ON FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED NOTHING
ON ON NOT PRESSED RIGHT TS ON NOTHING SOLID BRIGHT RED (should flash dim & bright)
ON ON PRESSED LEFT TS ON FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED SOLID BRIGHT RED
ON ON PRESSED RIGHT TS ON SOLID BRIGHT RED SOLID BRIGHT RED (should flash DIM & BRIGHT)

70_440-6Cuda

at first pass seems like the brake / taillight wires are reversed on the passenger side.  Socket could be wired incorrectly
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

cnm2215

I disconnected and reversed the two wires on the passenger socket. Big improvement on that side, though still not working with brakes pressed (it's as if there isn't quite enough electricity to light both taillights bright).

Any thoughts on the driver's side taillight?  (note: I didn't do any rewiring on that one; just changed out the bulb. It has its original socket). Driver side is bright just fine, but doesn't show dim at all. (And, in my table, where it says, "FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT", it might actually be flashing OFF & BRIGHT and perhaps it's just not visibly different).

table]

KEYS HEADLIGHTS BRAKES TURN SIGNAL DRIVER SIDE RESULT PASS. SIDE RESULT
OFF OFF PRESSED OFF SOLID BRIGHT RED FLICKERS AND THEN NOTHING (should be solid bright red)
OFF ON NOT PRESSED OFF OFF (should be dim) SOLID DIM RED
OFF ON PRESSED OFF SOLID BRIGHT RED SOLID DIM RED (should be bright)
ON OFF NOT PRESSED LEFT TS ON FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED NOTHING
ON OFF NOT PRESSED RIGHT TS ON NOTHING FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED
ON OFF PRESSED OFF SOLID BRIGHT RED SOLID BRIGHT RED
ON OFF PRESSED LEFT TS ON FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED SOLID BRIGHT RED
ON OFF PRESSED RIGHT TS ON SOLID BRIGHT RED FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED
ON ON NOT PRESSED OFF NOTHING (should be solid dim) SOLID DIM RED
ON ON PRESSED OFF SOLID BRIGHT RED SOLID BRIGHT RED
ON ON NOT PRESSED LEFT TS ON FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED SOLID DIM RED
ON ON NOT PRESSED RIGHT TS ON NOTHING (should be solid dim) FLASH DIM & BRIGHT RED
ON ON PRESSED LEFT TS ON FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED SOLID BRIGHT RED
ON ON PRESSED RIGHT TS ON SOLID BRIGHT RED FLASHES DIM & BRIGHT RED

Now that I understand it better...
Clearly one of the wires is for bright operation and the other is for dim operation... and if the driver side is not going dim when it should, my suspicion is that one of the two contacts on the bulb is not making a connection to the wire lead (perhaps theres a chunk of crud in there or something?) I'm gonna check that out.

70_440-6Cuda

It sounds like there is an issue with the sockets and bulbs making correct contact.  1 wire for the socket should be +12V when the lights are on, the other wire for the socket should be +12V when the brakes are applied. 

The flasher could be another culprit - they are very cheap and would not be the first time I had a new flasher that was defective.

Was everything working before?  Turn signal switch could also be an issue
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

cnm2215

FIXED!

No, they weren't working before (when I got the car a couple of weeks ago). There a chunk of gunk blocking one of the leads on the driver side bulb socket. All exterior lights are now working. Woo hoo!

Coming soon: interior lights.  My dome light works... and that's about it. It's dark in the car at night. I haven't yet done any troubleshooting, but I really gotta get the lights on my dashboard instruments working.

But my next priority is troubleshooting my overheating problem.

Special thanks to 70_440-6Cuda !