Main Menu

taillight panel

Started by dmastr3665, May 06, 2020, 08:13:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dmastr3665

has anyone changed a taillight panel, Im trying to find out just how many hours it is going to take, iv contacted 3 body shops in the area and none can give me even a ballpark estimate on what it takes and how long it should take. apparently its not like the old days, if its not in a book and insurance isn't paying for it they are not interested in even giving it a second look.

70 Challenger Lover

If everything is absolutely straight and 100% corrosion free, and it's already dismantled and ready to start metal work, I think the entire job could be done in a full day. That would not include painting. Just remove and replace metal. If the repop piece doesn't fit nice, you could spend hours making it fit. Obviously sealing, painting, new seal, all that takes more time and money.

The reason no one wants to give quotes like that is jobs like this on 50 year old cars never ever go as planned.

Now that I've done metal work on my projects, I would expect a job like that to cost $1000 for the basic metal and much more if painting to match, removing/reinstalling lights and bumper, etc. And that's supplying the metal of course. You might get lower quotes but I'd beware.

JS29

:thinking: I would think ten to twelve hours should be a good ballpark estimate.  :yes:

anlauto

First of all...What type of car ? Cuda is much more involved than a Challenger because of how the tail panel is attached to the quarter panels. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dmastr3665

anlauto

If they are removing the tail lights, gas filler, rear bumper, even the rear valance possibly, trunk weather-strip, etc....that would likely take a shop a couple of hours alone....
To cleanly drill the tail panel off without destroying the quarter panels is time consuming...likely 5-6 hours, there's a day gone....Fitting the new panel, if all goes well, likely only a hour or so to fit panel, another couple hours of welding, grinding, seam sealing, etc...re-assembly etc...If they run into any rust along the trunk floor....everything goes out the window

I wouldn't be surprised if a Mopar (familiar) restoration shop wouldn't be in the 15-20 hour range.....no telling what a generic all makes all model body shop would charge, likely double.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JS29

And how long dose it take YOU allan to do that job?  :)

anlauto

Quote from: JS29 on May 08, 2020, 05:52:26 AM
And how long dose it take YOU allan to do that job?  :)

If I was to take on the job, it would likely be in the 15-20 hour range, $825.00-$1100.00 CDN funds plus tax.

Thank you for asking, but I'm a little too busy right now to take on small jobs, maybe later in the Summer :twothumbsup:

JS29

I do body and collision work. I would not trust a job like that to be done by a non experienced metal guy. :looney:

dmastr3665

well i found a shop that was very reasonable, i was a little skeptical  at first but when it was done I was impressed with the work done, unfortunately they found some rot and had to deal with that but all and all i am very satisfied with the shops work. looks a little funny because the taillights came from 2 different cars so 2 different colors but that will dealt with at paint time.

cudamadd

Gee I wished I lived in the U.S or Canada,because anlauto your pricing is fantastic. The body guys here charge like a rageing pull .
The panel looks good  :cheers: :australia:

anlauto

Quote from: dmastr3665 on May 15, 2020, 10:39:16 PM
well i found a shop that was very reasonable, i was a little skeptical  at first but when it was done I was impressed with the work done, unfortunately they found some rot and had to deal with that but all and all i am very satisfied with the shops work. looks a little funny because the taillights came from 2 different cars so 2 different colors but that will dealt with at paint time.

So @dmastr3665  What was the price ? Or how many hours ?

JS29

What was the estimate, price before the rust was discovered? How many hours.  :popcorn:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: How many hours? The hidden rust is why many shops won't quote upfront on an old car.
Sheldon

JS29

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 16, 2020, 08:01:25 AM
Yes: How many hours? The hidden rust is why many shops won't quote upfront on an old car.
:iagree: But any bodyshop estimate has a disclaimer, (in fine print) of course. That hidden damage and rust are not included in the visual guess-tamate. :cheers: