Main Menu

New Convertible top rubbing on sides

Started by Lloyd Lind, April 03, 2022, 06:38:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Lloyd Lind

I have never had this problem before on several e-bodies. When the top goes up and down it rubs hard on the unfinished body that would be under the trim. When I installed the trim ( temporarily ) it was even worse. It is damaging the top so I have to do something.  All I can think of is to put washers under the frame to move it towards the center of the car but I hate to do that if there is a better way. There was no top on the car when I got it so I have no idea if this is a problem going back to the factory....though I suspect it is with only 46k on the speedometer.

rjhjr

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Burdar

Just spitballing here...

The inner structure that the top frame connects to(and that the 1/4 window mechanisms attach to)is pretty flimsy and flexible.  It wouldn't be unheard of that one or both sides could have been tweeked somehow.

Just this weekend I worked on installing the 1/4 windows in my convertible.(not an E-body)  When I installed the 1/4 window "up-stops" I noticed that they were touching the glass...not good.  Adjusting the glass a little gave me about 1/32" clearance but that's still too close for comfort.  I pulled on the inner structure and could see the gap between the "up-stops" and the glass get larger.  I'm thinking about attaching a ratchet strap to both inner structures and trying to "pull" them in towards the center of the car a little bit.  It wouldn't take much to gain the extra clearance.  I wonder if something like that could be done on your car to give you some extra room for the top?  How much extra room do you think you need?  Pictures would help.

Lloyd Lind

Both sides are doing this, this is the worse side, when the top is up you can't see most of it or the really bad damage. I am wondering if I need to loosen The top material at the front edge so it's not as tight when it drops. I installed the top and have done many tops over the years. I'm fact I get a better job than when I have hired it done at a trim shop.

erik70rt

Does it do it on both sides?  If not, it looks like your top frame might not aligned correctly, therefore the top is off as well.  Did you install the frame, too when you did the top?  That's all I can think of based on your pics. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Rich G.

I'm not an expert on convertibles but I remember when I put the frame on my challenger you could adjust how the frame bolts to the sides. Don't know if that would solve the problem.

Banana

Check the Service Manual.....the picture are pretty hard to read, but it does give step by step on install/removal of the frame. Check if all the adjustments were made in the order the manual says.

Do the quarter windows line up with the frame rubber seal properly? Are they in yet?

anlauto

The tack strips that hold the top to the body along the sides, bolt to the body, so I don't see how you would ever get the top further away from the body ??? :thinking:

If anything, the "sail panel sections" of the top may be too far forward  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Lloyd Lind

Thanks for all the suggestions. So far nothing about this makes sense, the top frame is adjusted according to the line-up holes for that purpose and the top is rubbing on both sides almost evenly.  About the only thing I can think of is that the top is too tight on the sides where it bolts to the car. I like to get the top on so that it closes the gap between the body when the top is up but perhaps I did too good a job making it tight.  The top looks great up and is centered but just as it starts going down or finishes going up that is when it rubs on the quarters and is literally sawing the top in half. So far most of the damage is out of sight but I'm worried it's going to only get worse.

rjhjr

Try two washers under the last tack strip bolt and one under the second to last bolt.

anlauto

I think the bigger question is ...how are you going to get the belt trim on with the top in place ? That's going to be a pain in the ass  :pullinghair: it's hard enough with nothing in the way. :headbang:

rjhjr

Alan could not be more accurate, that trim will be very difficult to push on the middle trim and access the screws on the side trim with the top in the well.

anlauto

My upholstery guy just sent me these pictures tonight...white looks awesome on the purple :drooling: ...I'll likely pick it up on the weekend and I'll see if mine rubs in the same spot... :rubeyes: