Main Menu

Oil pan rubbing center link

Started by GoMangoBoys, September 11, 2023, 08:15:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I have the Challenger in for an alignment.  They showed me that the center link is rubbing on the oil pan.  As far as I know it is a stock style oil pan from milodon.  What options do I have to raise the engine about a quarter inch? It is a 383.

Cudajason

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on September 11, 2023, 08:15:46 AM
I have the Challenger in for an alignment.  They showed me that the center link is rubbing on the oil pan.  As far as I know it is a stock style oil pan from milodon.  What options do I have to raise the engine about a quarter inch? It is a 383.

are you sure the center link is installed correctly? 

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

DeathProofCuda

If you can give me your measurement from the top of the center link to the bottom edge of the engine block oil pan rail I can check it against my 70 383 car.

chargerdon

Put a thick 1/8 washer between the top mounting bolt of your steering box so that the box tilts a little more downward.   That 1/8 inch washer will give you at least 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch lower on the pitman arm and if your only rubbing then another 1/4 to 3/8 will give you plenty of clearance.    I did this with my 74 Challenger and 360 engine.   

Brads70

You could also shim the motor mount in addition to what was mentioned.

headejm

[/quote]

are you sure the center link is installed correctly? 

[/quote]

:iagree:

GoMangoBoys

I THINK it is installed correctly.

GoMangoBoys

I drove a paint stick in between the center link and the oil pan.  It dented the pan very slightly and gave me about 1/8 inch clearance to get me by until I do a better solution.

tparker

My question would be, why is it hitting? As mentioned the center link could be an issue, but since it is a different oil pan my thought would be there. Are there different oil pan sizes for the different Big Blocks or are the Milodon oil pans not the right height? That would be a problem. LOL. I guess the third issue is the motor mounts are too low. Ugh. Let us know how you fix it.

Chryco Psycho

In the factory service manual it shows you can shim the top bolt of the steering box & oval the lower hole for the idler arm I tip it downward a little .

Strawdawg

I have forgotten the factory pan number that was on my 440 but it was rubbing the link.  I switched to 402 and had plenty of room.

I forget, which deep sump pan is on the stroker engine now.  It is a Moroso as I recall?  It clears with no problem.  I need to shim the engine mount because the header and steering box are basically a zero clearance fit.

There is a lot of variance between cars.  They were not built with the term precise in mind and the years have not helped them.
Steve

headejm

FWIW - My 1970 Challenger 383HP with stock oil pan, stock motor mounts, and stock suspension has approximately 1" of clearance between the pan and the center link.

dodj

Quote from: headejm on September 14, 2023, 04:29:50 PM
FWIW - My 1970 Challenger 383HP with stock oil pan, stock motor mounts, and stock suspension has approximately 1" of clearance between the pan and the center link.
Wow...seems like a lot. I have about 1/8"?
I have aftermarket Magnum mounts which could play into that though. :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

HP2

Slight differences in oil pan dimension as well as slight differences in motor mounts can alter the available gap here. Add in that engine mounting location (it can be twisted a bit within the range of the mounting holes) and wear (compression) of the mounts, and the chance for interference is pretty good.

There are several ways to address this if you don't want to start swapping parts - 1)loosen the mounts and lift then reset the engine to see if you can change the height relationship 2) shim the steering box down to drop the center link (you should drop the pitman arm an equal amount but this requires removal, grinding, and welding) 3)shim between the motor mount pad and pedestal to lift the engine above the center link.

Brads70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 12, 2023, 04:31:06 PM
In the factory service manual it shows you can shim the top bolt of the steering box & oval the lower hole for the idler arm I tip it downward a little .

Here is the factory service manual illustration if it helps. Much easier to make simple shims at the motor mount though IMO.