Main Menu

New respect for body men...

Started by YellowThumper, August 28, 2017, 05:13:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

So, I am working on another vehicle and I have had to remove a good portion of its floorboard due to some old hack jobs and subsequent crappy repairs. I have now developed a deep respect for those that do this for a living.
As I am an old guy I have been around the block numerous times. I knew it would not be a walk in the park. BI learning curve for me was finesse. I was too anal in the beginning trying to cut neetly and square. Eventually you figure out to just let the chips fly. Replacement panel(s) will be a combination of mig and tig welding. Which will be another fun learning curve. Been welding tig for 30 years but only have a handful of minutes on a mig. None of which is with sheetmetal.
Figure this is a good practice vehicle for when it comes time to tackle the Challenger.
It's a Ford so no worries here on the learning curve...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Roadman

Quote from: YellowThumper on August 28, 2017, 05:13:23 PM
So, I am working on another vehicle and I have had to remove a good portion of its floorboard due to some old hack jobs and subsequent crappy repairs. I have now developed a deep respect for those that do this for a living.
As I am an old guy I have been around the block numerous times. I knew it would not be a walk in the park. BI learning curve for me was finesse. I was too anal in the beginning trying to cut neetly and square. Eventually you figure out to just let the chips fly. Replacement panel(s) will be a combination of mig and tig welding. Which will be another fun learning curve. Been welding tig for 30 years but only have a handful of minutes on a mig. None of which is with sheetmetal.
Figure this is a good practice vehicle for when it comes time to tackle the Challenger.

Looks like a Toploader 4 speed. Whatcha workin on. ????          :rebelflag"

YellowThumper

You saw the ugly.
Now here is the pretty.
27 year old paint job that got parked in his garage and never saw the light of day when it was done.

Mike.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Roadman on August 28, 2017, 05:21:00 PM

It's a Falcon project...

YellowThumper

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 28, 2017, 05:28:11 PM
Quote from: Roadman on August 28, 2017, 05:21:00 PM

It's a Falcon project...

No! It is a learning curve project for the Challenger...

Btw. Thanks for your previous insite on it.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Good looking car. It's the hours of sanding that gets my respect from body guys. I get tired of sanding after 5 minutes.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

71vert340

Which is why I like cars that have been in the desert all their driving days. Here's the original floors from my daily driver 74 Charger ( for 15 years) that I'm currently working on. No rust at all. Just dings. I love it.

YellowThumper

Falcon was a hack job to install incorrect trans and even worse correction. All by my brother.

71vert I am in same thankful position with my 74 Challenger. Everything is still solid with the exception of a lower area just in front of rear wheel opening. Long ago drain was plugged with dirt. Cleaned it out 20 years ago but damage was done.
Could not imagine a full tear down. Well I am pushing 60 now so... I ain't what I used to be...

Mike.

71vert340

Our western desert cars don't normally have the rust of eastern cars  but the interiors are usually toast. Still, it's easier to replace an interior. I'm approaching 65 myself and just don't want to do the metal work anymore.
Terry

fc7cuda

New respect for body men....

Thanks, I have been working out... :) :banana: :1place: :perfect10:

YellowThumper

Quote from: fc7cuda on August 29, 2017, 12:06:23 PM
New respect for body men....

Thanks, I have been working out... :) :banana: :1place: :perfect10:

Quietly wondering when that was gonna come up...
:stop: :pokeeye: :cheers:

Mike.