Main Menu

Not All Neutral Safety Switches Are Created Equal

Started by 6pack, May 07, 2018, 03:33:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6pack

I had no reverse lights on a recently restored Cuda.  The wiring checked out by jumping the switch's plug end pins.  So I checked the switch end pins for continuity and it was open when in reverse.  Installed new a $15 switch from Car Quest and still no reverse lights.  I checked the old switch and it was bad.  I was going to drop the trans pan and have a look.  So I first checked on the web and found all kinds of possible problems with the valve body lever.  I guy had the same issue on the B Body Forum and it turned out to be the length of the switch.  I compared mine and sure enough the replacement switch was about a quarter inch longer not letting the contacts engage in reverse.  The guy tried all the regular car parts places and found that the only one that worked was the switch from Auto-Zone and of course made in China.  So I got one had it in stock for $10.  Now everything works but for how long? who knows.

Chryco Psycho

Chrysler is not using 1000 / day anymore , probably made in small batches & apparently not accurate either .

Katfish

Quote from: 6pack on May 07, 2018, 03:33:17 PM
I had no reverse lights on a recently restored Cuda.  The wiring checked out by jumping the switch's plug end pins.  So I checked the switch end pins for continuity and it was open when in reverse.  Installed new a $15 switch from Car Quest and still no reverse lights.  I checked the old switch and it was bad.  I was going to drop the trans pan and have a look.  So I first checked on the web and found all kinds of possible problems with the valve body lever.  I guy had the same issue on the B Body Forum and it turned out to be the length of the switch.  I compared mine and sure enough the replacement switch was about a quarter inch longer not letting the contacts engage in reverse.  The guy tried all the regular car parts places and found that the only one that worked was the switch from Auto-Zone and of course made in China.  So I got one had it in stock for $10.  Now everything works but for how long? who knows.

My reverse lights went out too and was thinking about changing the NSS.
You have a brand and PN for what worked?

Bullitt-

I remember reading years ago that some folks had to add a second washer to their replacement NSS to make it function   
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

6pack

The part number is Duralast CR401.  The price went up $5 on their website since yesterday; they must of read this post!