Main Menu

Oil Pan Findings... Yikes

Started by Jim AAR, August 23, 2020, 09:14:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jim AAR

That's what I'm hearing, I ordered the regular ones. I'm assuming I should replace all of them and not just the two on #5 rod. If I can't change them with the motor in, I guess I'll be pulling the motor, damn. Well if I have to might as well repaint my engine compartment, clean up the battery acid destroyed paint which drives me crazy anyways, lol.

Anyone know where I can get 4 windage tray bolts. Year one wants 7.31 a piece and that's the only place I've found them so far.

Or can I just use some grade 8 bolts with washers. They're getting loctited this time anyways.

Also, does anyone know the torque spec for the windage tray bolts, I can't find it anywhere, I have an old yellow direct connection racing manual and it has pretty much a torque spec for everything but that. Maybe I overtightened them when I rebuilt it and stress cracked them. Because I took one to get some grade 8 bolts and it literally broke in half in my pocket during work today, it was 1 piece when I left this morning and 2 pieces at the fastener store. None of them are going back in.

Dakota

Quote from: Jim AAR on August 27, 2020, 06:25:52 PM

Also, does anyone know the torque spec for the windage tray bolts, I can't find it anywhere, I have an old yellow direct connection racing manual and it has pretty much a torque spec for everything but that.

There's an old post on the For A Bodies Only forum that shows 17 ft-lbs for the windage tray bolts.  The source for the value is not mentioned.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/windage-tray-bolt-torque-specs.190646/

Chryco Psycho

There is a general fastener guide , so you look up the grade ,diameter & thread of any bolt & it will have a tq value .
I would use locktite too